"A Stop Along the Great Ocean Road" Top 5 Page for this destination Port Campbell by Anne12
Port Campbell Travel Guide: 129 reviews and 550 photos
Having a sister living 15 minutes from Port Campbell it's an area I have visited many times over the last 30 years. I have seen it when it had one little shop and a few houses scattered around the Port.
This time I decided to look at it from a tourist point of view and came up with a few interesting observations.
Due to the fact that Port Campbell is on the Great Ocean Road tourist route and also because many Australians want to own a house by the ocean, this little town has grown over the past 10 years or so.
House prices have climbed to amazing prices and with more and more exposure to the beauty of the Great Ocean Road many visitors are passing through.
Among the older shops there are now a few newRestaurants and Holiday Units/houses been built.
Port Campbell is surrounded by amazing lush green paddocks. This is a Dairy Farming area.
There are many things for you to do in Port Campbell and surrounding areas.
Wonderful walks through the National Parks, views from all points of the ocean and of course the 12 Apostles( were there ever 12?) Now there are eight of these rock formations that are along an area where you can visit.
You can do flights over this area either in a small plane or by helicopter.
In Port Campbell you can try your hand at surfing or try to catch a fish or two.
From Port you can drive to Peterborough calling into the different areas where you can follow the tracks and read of the history of the ship wrecks along this area.
These are only short walks.
When leaving Melbourne head to the small coastal town of Sorrento, this is down on the Mornington Peninsula. Then take the Car Ferry across the bay to Queenscliffe, have a browse there and head to Torquay, you are now on your way to the trip along the GOR.
Stop along the way to explore the different National Parks, the Ottways and many more scenic areas.
You will drive through to Port Campbell, then onward to Peterborough and through to Warrnambool.
From Warrnambool you can go down to Port Fairy, this is another lovely little town.
To go back to Melbourne, head inland from Warrnambool, if you have time you can head up to the Grampians and have a night there.
If not, head inland to Mortlake, then on to Geelong and home to Melbourne.
If you can do the Grampians, from there go to Ararat, Stawell and onward to Ballarat and Melbourne.
Check the map for distances and then enjoy!
If you are looking to shop til you drop this won't happen in Port. There are only a couple of shops to browse. Giftware... more travel advice
The backpackers is situated in the best possible position. It is opposite the beach, great views from the front... more travel advice
Anne12's Related Pages
Port Campbell Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Stop Along the Great Ocean Road"
- "Exploring the Great Ocean Road"
- "IMPREXXION: PORT CAMPBELL"
- "Port Campbell - Gateway to GOR and the South Coast"
- "Port Campbell and the 12 Apostles"
- "Once upon the Great Ocean Road"
- "Port Campbell Ntl Park and the Great Ocean Road"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Campbell
- Hotels in Port Campbell
- Transportation in Port Campbell
- Restaurants in Port Campbell
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Campbell
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Campbell
- 15 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Port Campbell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Campbell
- updated a Port Campbell Travel Page "A Stop Along the Great Ocean Road"
- Posted in Travel Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Forum "Re: where is the closest car..."
- Commented on one of leffe3's Port Campbell travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Modern Self Contained Units"
- Wrote a Review Retail Therapy in Port Campbell Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 39 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairns Intro, 33 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hepburn Springs Intro, 27 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Douglas Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Campbell Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos
- Maldon Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 16 reviews, 8 photos
- Brisbane Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuranda Intro, 10 reviews, 10 photos
- Queenscliff Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos