"Akumal" Top 5 Page for this destination Akumal by Kaspian
Akumal Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 201 photos
Travel Dates: March 15 2005, March 8 2007, December 5 2011.
Akumal (pronounced "a-coo-moll") means "land/place of the turtles" in the Mayan language. The actual town itself (shown above) is a dusty little village on the top of a hill right beside Highway 307, between Playa Del Carmen and Tulum. Take a good look at this sleepy little village because you probably won’t recognize it in a few years--growth in the Akumal beachfront area is booming and massive development of the downtown will probably come with it very soon. There’s not much to see in the tiny downtown--some small shops selling to locals, kids playing, dogs wandering around aimlessly, and some workers taking naps on the sidewalks. There are definitely no tourists.
The Akumal beaches are a different story. They're not crowded like the beach in Cancun or Playa Del Carmen, this is where you really want to be when visiting. There are lots of little restaurants, great places to swim, a few monuments, and some little shops.
"But wait," you say? "Where are all the blasting boom-boxes and sand kicking jocks yelling obnoxiously while playing beach volleyball? Where are all the skinny girls with fake tans and skimpy bikinis who won't swim because they'd get their hair wet? Where are all the overweight couples wearing matching T-shirts and fanny packs that like to argue loudly in English with their waiter?"
Exactly, I say to you dear traveller, exactly. Enjoy the serenity.
- Pros:Quiet, great sand, clean water, chance to see sea turtles in their natural environment.
- Cons:Damned if I know...
- In a nutshell:No big stores? No traffic? No fat, obnoxious tourists? Perfect!
Scraaape-ka-bonk! That's about the dozenth time I've hit my head on a stalactite crawling through this enormous... more travel advice
Don Pablo Bush Romero (1905 - 1998) was the head of the Mexican National Archaeology Department, a writer, photographer,... more travel advice
Kaspian's Related Pages
Akumal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Anti Playa Del Carmen!"
- "Akumal Bay - Laid back Mexico"
- "Place of the turtles"
- "It's all about the R&R"
- "Cancun minus the Crazy....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Akumal
- Hotels in Akumal
- Transportation in Akumal
- Restaurants in Akumal
- Shopping in Akumal
- Warnings and Dangers in Akumal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Akumal
- 7 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Akumal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Akumal
Photos in AkumalSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Toronto Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cancún Intro, 29 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tulum Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 11 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tombstone Intro, 11 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Saint Augustine Intro, 6 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- North Bay Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos
- Halifax Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues