Cancún Off The Beaten Path Tips by Kaspian Top 5 Page for this destination
Cancún Off The Beaten Path: 88 reviews and 81 photos
Ik Kil Cenote (2002)
We visited Ik Kil after a tour of Chichen Itza. If you have the option to do this (sometimes your tour will offer the stop), go for it! It was one of the highlights of our entire trip.
I think entry was only $7 or $10.
A pleasant cool freshwater swim after sweating like crazy and climbing around the dusty ruins was perfect.
You decend to the cenote by a rock staircase. There are a few fish in the water and a small shower of water decends to the pool from the roof of the cave.
I heard later that two Japanese tourists has been killed here the year before we visited when a piece of the cave ceiling fell down after a storm.
Ik-Kil Eco-archaeological Park is located 5 kilometers from Chichen Itza along Highway 180. Check their web site for more specific directions.
See my Chichen Itza Travelogues for more photos of Ik Kil.
Phone: (985) 851-0039
Cancun Carnaval (2001)
If you get to Cancun at the right time of year (mid February to mid March, you'll have to check for the exact dates because they change yearly), you can get to see the Cancun Carnaval. This is the largest annual festival in Cancun. There are giant parties downtown where locals listen to 3 days of different music and dance most of the night away. Events happen over more than 10 days. Most vacationers aren't aware it's even going on because it's away from the Hotel Zone. I didn't get to hang out through this one, but we drove past the floats as they were setting up. The cab driver told us it's the most fun event of the year. These girls ran over to pose for the camera and I was lucky to get a shot 'cause we were moving so fast.
Puerto Juarez (2002)
Want to see how the locals live in Cancun?
Many of the hotel workers live in the Puerto Juarez neighbourhood, 5 minutes north of downtown Cancun. There's a few small local restaurants, churches, a local beach called "Playa Del Nino", and a ferry terminal to Isla Mujeres. Not much shopping here, and it gets more residential the further you go across from the terminal. Some of the tiny metal shack apartments can show you the reality of poverty in Cancun.
Most of the neighbourhood was in ruins because of an El Nino storm a few years ago, but they've slowly started rebuilding. Most impressive is a new tall white spire with a restaurant on top (shaped kind of like a lighthouse).
Directions: North of downtown Cancun on Avenida Bonampak.
Playa Del Nino (2002)
Playa Del Nino is a local public beach about 10 minutes north of downtown Cancun in the Puerto Juarez neighbourhood. It is a little further up the road past the ferry terminal.
On a very hot Saturday or Sunday it can be swarming with locals swimming, sunbathing, playing guitars, fishing, and having picnics. A local's idea of beach weather and a tourist's are two different things, so even when it's hot for us it may still be cool for them and the beach may be empty. It's busier in summer.
There are a few rustic beach restaurants (specializing in seafood) where you can order food or sit and have a drink. I'd be very careful eating anything in these restaurants, they're definitely not meant for a tourist's stomach. These places are also bars in the evening.
I think it's named after an "El Nino" storm which ravaged this area and destroyed lots of buildings several years ago. Translated literally it means "Beach of the Boy."
More Reviews (25)
- See All Wicked Sense of Humour
- See All Dolphin Express: Dolphins, Snorkel, &...
- See All Hurricanes: Get Out Now!
- See All Use Pesos to Support the Economy
- See All Cost of Taxis
Kaspian's Related Pages
Cancún Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paradise in the Carribean"
- "Spring Break 24/7/365"
- "CANCUN ---PARADISE IN MEXICO"
- "Cancun, Mexico"
- "Cancun Condo"
- "Cancun, Mexico"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cancún
- Hotels in Cancún
- Transportation in Cancún
- Nightlife in Cancún
- Restaurants in Cancún
- Shopping in Cancún
- Warnings and Dangers in Cancún
- See All...
Explore the World
- Republic of Serbia
- El Morro Hotels
- Saint Just-in-Penwith Hotels
- Marina South City Park Hotels
- Vientiane Hotels
- L'vivs'ka Oblast'
Badges & Stats in Cancún
- 29 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 61 Forum posts
- 43 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Cancún?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cancún
Photos in CancúnSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Toronto Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cancún Intro, 29 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tulum Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 11 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tombstone Intro, 11 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Saint Augustine Intro, 6 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- North Bay Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos
- Halifax Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (134)
Latest Cancún hotel reviews
- Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
- 4438 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- B2B Hotel And Plaza
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 10, 2013
- Hotel Plaza Caribe
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Punta Cancun
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Lahia Condominiums
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 9, 2013
- Mayafair Plaza Hotel
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 16, 2013
- Salvia Condos
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 23, 2013
- Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas
- 195 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Radisson Hotel Hacienda Cancun
- 171 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Suites Gaby Hotel
- 98 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 21, 2013
- Club Tulum
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Hotel Club Las Velas
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Jack Tar Village
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 4, 2012
- Imperial Laguna Hotel
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Chichen Itza- 56 Reviews, 85 Photos
- Xcaret- 50 Reviews, 66 Photos
- Downtown Cancun- 13 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Isla Mujeres- 49 Reviews, 63 Photos
- Xel-Ha- 25 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Swim with Dolphins- 18 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Beaches of Cancun- 26 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Tulum- 42 Reviews, 55 Photos
- Playa Del Carmen- 12 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Water Sports- 27 Reviews, 36 Photos
See All Cancún Things to Do