"Cancun" Top 5 Page for this destination Cancún by Kaspian
Cancún Travel Guide: 2,022 reviews and 4,106 photos
Travel Dates: February 28 - March 7 1999, April 9-16 2000, February 17-24 2001, February 17-24 2002, February 16-23 2003, November 2-9 2003.
I started visiting Mexico in 1997 and have returned about 11 times (twice a year) since! Cancun can make a person fall in love with the country and want to return and go further. I know that's what happened to me. A lot of "sophisticated" travellers complain that Cancun is too touristy and say you'll miss the "real" Mexico, but what they fail to recognize is that they themselves are tourists.
Cancun is a good, fun intro to Mexico if you've never been, there's lots of daytrips to go on, shopping places, and lots of cool clubs for the younger set.
I don't think anybody gets out of Mexico without absorbing some of the culture--the music and colours are everywhere around you. You can feel it in the people you meet and see it in the landscape.
Cancun's has a very tourist-friendly atmosphere for those who are a little intimidated by travel and don't speak foreign languages very well. It also makes a comfortable homebase for more experienced travellers who want to go on daytrips to ruins or overnights to more remote areas. It's close to Isla Mujeres, Playa Del Carmen, Tulum, Coba, and Chichen-Itza. On top of that, it's some of the best bikini watching in the world.
On most of my trips to the Cancun area I stay at the Blue Bay Club. It's not in the hotel zone but a few kilometres up the coast near Puerto Juarez (the Ferry Terminal to Isla Mujeres). It's a very quiet area to be in at night, it's dark because the jungle is still behind this area and the stars are very bright.
See my Cacun Travelogues for more photos of the Blue Bay Club.
- Pros:Beaches, booze, buffets, and babes
- Cons:Crowded areas, can be expensive
- In a nutshell:Lots to do here--good intro to Mexico for first timers!
In this part of the country, more than I've seen anywhere else in the word, the locals have a wickedly brilliant sense... more travel advice
I don't know how the rumour got started on VT that you don't tip taxi drivers in Cancun. Of course you should tip them!... more travel advice
- See All Hurricanes: Get Out Now!
- See All Use Pesos to Support the Economy
- See All Cost of Taxis
- See All Plaza 2000: Save Money
Kaspian's Related Pages
Cancún Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paradise in the Carribean"
- "Spring Break 24/7/365"
- "Cancun Condo"
- "Cancun, Mexico"
- "CANCUN ---PARADISE IN MEXICO"
- "Cancun, Mexico"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cancún
- Hotels in Cancún
- Transportation in Cancún
- Nightlife in Cancún
- Restaurants in Cancún
- Shopping in Cancún
- Warnings and Dangers in Cancún
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cancún
- 29 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 61 Forum posts
- 40 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Cancún?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cancún
Photos in CancúnSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Toronto Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Playa del Carmen Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cancún Intro, 29 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tulum Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 11 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tombstone Intro, 11 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Saint Augustine Intro, 6 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- North Bay Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos
- Halifax Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues