"Niagara Falls" Niagara Falls by Kaspian

Niagara Falls Travel Guide: 1,446 reviews and 3,601 photos

Travel Dates: August 21 2006, October 20 2007.

Niagara Falls is widely known as the "Honeymoon Capital of the World"? Really? One would think it would be Paris. But then again, there's enough "fromage" in Niagara to feed the whole of France's capital. Apparently the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania, St. Kitts, and Las Vegas, Nevada are all competing for the same title. But most people agree that Niagara still holds the distinction.

A Majestic Wonder of the Natural World and... Errr... A Giant Frankenstein Eating a Whopper!

It really makes me laugh because I saw little of romantic value in this city. Although there are some very pretty flowerbeds along the walkway leading to the falls, there aren't any quaint candlelit restaurants, cobblestone streets, or horse carriage rides here. However, if you want to see Lara Croft carved in wax, ride Hulk Hogan's rooftop ride, visit Dracula's Haunted Castle, or learn about Marvel superheroes, then this the place! It's more like a teenage boy's fantasy come true than a place for couples after their wedding. The buildings look like colourful cartoons, pulled from an episode of the Simpsons. Am I crazy? Maybe our culture has become so commercial and cheesy that this is the extent of most people's romantic imagination? I kind of wonder if the brides and grooms eat Big Macs on their first nights of holy matrimony.

Oh, But the Falls!

The Falls really are spectacular! I don't know why I hadn't visited Niagara sooner in my lifetime, but for some reason I always thought it was a lengthy drive from Toronto. The waterfalls were also not as high as I'd always imagined, but pulling into the crescent-shaped "Horseshoe Falls" aboard the "Maid of the Mist" tour boat was a completely awe inspiring experience; one I'll never forget. The falling water surrounds the ship like a giant flowing white curtain. The thundering sound of 45 million gallons (169 million litres) a minute of rushing water vibrates your body and penetrates down to your soul. I really could've stayed down there admiring it all for hours.

• Pros:A breathtaking wonder!
  • Cons:Cheese-ola downtown.
  • In a nutshell:Your teenage sons will love it!
  • Last visit to Niagara Falls: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated Oct 23, 2007

• jojes's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2013 at 12:30 AM

We've just started looking into visiting Canada in the summer of 2014. The falls are on the wish-list of course !

• JuliaMac's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2011 at 8:43 AM

ohhh great waterfall! i think it's best nature show ! you can stay there ans see it for many times.

• davesut's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Thanks for the ratings Ed. 'Honeymoon Capital' who are they trying to kid? Niagara is the closest thing to Blackpool I have ever seen, Blackpool is a delight for your nxt visit to Englnd. btw I'd signed up for Paris and got a pass out shame it's off.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Yeah, I don't get why they don't encourage you to keep one slicker for the whole thing, they do have a recycle bin at least.

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2010 at 9:56 AM

My parents honeymooned here many years ago. Thanks for the great page!

• poons's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Now you're talking! I'll need to get mucho training/experience in for that one :o) When money not so tight, I hope to get back to it. Fun & safe riding to you Ed.

• Karolina01's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2006 at 7:05 PM

Nice intro Edward.

Kaspian

“Be epic!”

Badges & Stats in Niagara Falls

Have you been to Niagara Falls?

Latest Activity in Niagara Falls