North Bay Off The Beaten Path Tips by Kaspian
North Bay Off The Beaten Path: 2 reviews and 6 photos
Memorial Park (2004)
Memorial park is a good place to sit around if you need to kill a few hours. It's generally quiet and strangely enough, people behave really well when they're in it. There's not too much to look at--so if it's a nice day, the waterfront might be a better place to chill out.
The soldier statue (North Bay War Memorial) was erected in 1922 and I would venture to say that it's the only "real" staue in town other than the Peter Toth one on the highway. I think a lot of residents feel sorry for this soldier, how he stands with is head bowed. Especially when he's alone in the winter--it reminds me of the sad Oscar Wilde story, "The Happy Prince".
The granite "Wall of Honour" behind the statue was dedicated November 12, 2000. It is the largest municipal memorial in Canada. It contains the names of 636 area soliders who died in the wars and the names of 9,000 who served. City people lay wreaths in this park on Remembrance Day, November 11.
Other Contact: First Ave. at Ferguson St.
Birchaven Cove (2005)
"The Cove", on the shores of Trout Lake, is a great place for families to bring their children for a swim on hot days. The water is cooler and cleaner than Lake Nipissing and kids love playing on the long white docks. The beach is supervised by lifeguards during the summer months and has restroom/change facilities. There aren't any food or drink vendors at this beach, so you have to bring your own snacks. There's lots of space at this beach, so even on busy days you can always find a good spot to stretch out. Make sure to have a shower with soap when you get home to avoid any chance of "swimmer's itch", which has been known to happen on some summer days. I grew up hanging around on this beach.
Entrance at the corner of Lakeside Drive and Camelot beside Found Court, in the Birchaven neighbourhood.
More Reviews (16)
- See All Shadflies!
- M&B Paintball
- See All The Waterfront
- See All Ivan's
Kaspian's Related Pages
North Bay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "North Bay"
- "North Bay Life Summer 2006"
- "Behold 'The Bay'"
- "My North Bay Homepage!"
- "North Bay - the moose state"
- See All...
- Things to Do in North Bay
- Hotels in North Bay
- Transportation in North Bay
- Nightlife in North Bay
- Restaurants in North Bay
- Warnings and Dangers in North Bay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in North Bay
- 18 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 40 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to North Bay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in North Bay
Photos in North BaySee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Toronto Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cancún Intro, 29 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tulum Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 11 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tombstone Intro, 11 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Saint Augustine Intro, 6 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- North Bay Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos
- Halifax Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues