"North Bay" North Bay by Kaspian

North Bay Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 42 photos

After years of promoting North Bay as part of my previous job, I'm finally free to speak my true mind about our one-horse town. (Most of us call it a "town" even though it's a really a small city.) I've taken some great photos of North Bay over the years that were used in lots of print brochures, but the rights to all of those pics remained with my employer. Sigh, guess I have to start over...

Home, Sweet Home? Common things people wonder...

I was born here, raised here, and lived most of my adult life here in North Bay.
Do I have a special attachment to this place in my heart? Not really.
Have I lived anywhere else? Yep--Ottawa for two years and Vancouver for one.
What's it like? Meh... As good a place as any, I guess.
You don't seem like the kind of person who lives in a town like that. Really?

My personal outlook on life is that I could live anywhere really, so it doesn't really matter where I am. Most places in my mind are just as good as any other.
However, I couldn't live for any length of time in an area that had too many people--where the population was dense. ...Like London, England for example. (Although I love London, I couldn't stay there for more than six months.) I also like a place to be close to large bodies water. North Bay is between two giant lakes--Trout Lake and Lake Nipissing.

Recommended Movie: Project Grizzly (1996).

• Pros:Lots of artists, lots of bars.
  • Cons:Lots of grumps, crazy people, white trash, bad drivers, and geezers. And no good outdoor patios!
  • In a nutshell:A weird place to decide to visit, an even weirder place to live.
  • Intro Updated Aug 9, 2011

• shohman's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2011 at 3:55 AM

Anguilla is great! Hard to get to (well, not that hard) but if you want to do absolutely nothing but eat great food and go to the beach, this is the place.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Edward, you are a real writer.... Thanks for your description! ><><><

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Have you ever used a site called www.flightnetwork.com? I think I see a $206 CAD flight to Skopje from London...

• Mar 9, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Come visit! Not in the winter though. It's too crappy.

• canuck68's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Well Ed, I was thinking that North Bay sounded like a nice place to live until you got to the cold temps. The Waterfront sounds interesting. Very good tips.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2010 at 3:43 PM

HI Ed, We had a great group in Krakow...Fortunately I was able to do some preliminary training bouts in Prague before the main event. I will put a picture up on my Prague page in the next day or two. The jpg file was too big to attach thru VT mail. Karl

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2010 at 2:58 PM

This seems like a nice artsy cultural center for relaxing and enjoy the scenes.

• JessieLang's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2010 at 12:45 PM

I had to laugh when I read the small town politics tip. These places are alike; it doesn't matter where they are located!

• Aug 23, 2009 at 6:22 AM

I loved this article! I live in North Bay, and meet all the criteria of a local, be it that I'm part Aboriginal, part French, Part English, and well, the list goes on. I did truly enjoy this article..keep them coming!

• Marie-France's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2009 at 9:15 PM

I remember those bugs (shadflies). We had them in Pinawa, Manitoba, when I lived there!

Kaspian Lives Here!

Kaspian

“Be epic!”

Badges & Stats in North Bay

Have you been to North Bay?

Latest Activity in North Bay