"Tombstone" Top 5 Page for this destination Tombstone by Kaspian
Tombstone Travel Guide: 214 reviews and 711 photos
Travel Dates: September 6 2008.
Tombstone? The OK Corral? Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday? The greatest gunfight in the history of the Wild West--30 shots in 30 seconds? Are you freakin' kidding me?!! This is awesome!
I've been a fan of Western movies and TV shows since I was a toddler. My dad and I would sit downstairs on the couch every Sunday morning watching John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Gene Autrey, Tex Ritter, Roy Rogers and all the other cowboys shoot it out from 10 AM until noon. It didn't matter to me whether it was black-and-white or in colour, cheesy or serious--I was mesmerized. He'd rhyme off the names of all these famous actors and I'd try hard to remember them, but they'd be lost on me minutes later--in my mind, the Lone Ranger really was the Lone Ranger!
...And this place (this place!) is the Holy Land of Westerns--I would have gotten down on my knees and kissed the ground if it wasn't so dusty. ...And scattered with horse droppings.
On May 16 2008, I left a message on VT member Basaic's Tombstone page saying, "...I can't wait to visit! ...Hopefully within the next year." He wrote back saying to give him a call if I got to the town because he lives nearby and would show me around. Well, once the gears start going in my head about something like this it quickly snowballs to obsession and time compresses itself. I was walking the streets of this legendary town getting a personalized tour by Basaic himself less than four months later. He was very patient considering my little-kid excited behaviour.
Please Note: You will need an entire day to see Tombstone, so plan on arriving in town early in the morning and departing in the late afternoon or evening. It's a huge mistake to think you can see anything of value here in only a few hours.
Recommended Movies: "Tombstone" (1993), "Wyatt Earp" (1994), "Gunfight at the OK Corral" (1957).
Recommended Video Game: Red Dead Revolver.
- Pros:You're a daisy if you do...
- In a nutshell:Too tough to die!
Alright, I have to admit it--in a place whose history is steeped in gunslingers, lawmen, bandits, rustlers, and whores,... more travel advice
How many cattle rustlers, stagecoach bandits, and gunslingers walked through the front doors of this courthouse only to... more travel advice
Kaspian's Related Pages
Tombstone Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Legend of American Old West"
- "Tombstone, Arizona: When the West was Wild"
- "Tombstone - Part History, Part Kitsch"
- "Jumping Around Tombstone!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tombstone
- Hotels in Tombstone
- Transportation in Tombstone
- Nightlife in Tombstone
- Restaurants in Tombstone
- Shopping in Tombstone
- Warnings and Dangers in Tombstone
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tombstone
- 11 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Tombstone?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tombstone
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: What was the good old days..."
- updated a Tombstone Travelogue "2008 - Scenes from Tombstone"
- Uploaded a Photo to "2008 - Scenes from Tombstone"
- Wrote a Review Cowboy Manners in Tombstone Local Customs
- Commented on one of Basaic's Tombstone travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Tombstone
Photos in TombstoneSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Toronto Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cancún Intro, 29 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tulum Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 11 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tombstone Intro, 11 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Saint Augustine Intro, 6 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- North Bay Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos
- Halifax Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues