"I Woke Up in the Wrong Place" Kaspian's Profile

My old band had a song with the lyric "Wake up every morning with the same look on my face; I know that once again, I woke up the wrong place." That about sums it doesn't it? You want to see the world every day but need a few bucks in your pocket to do it right. I've always been one to hold his own, couldn't imagine imposing on the generosity of nice people in poor areas. Imagine being somewhere like Florence with not enough change to even sample the cuisine? So what to do? Make a livin' and get out while you can I guess. Feel free to forward along best alternative suggestions.

Some Recent Trip Highlights:

· Florida swamp boat!
· Surfing in Costa Rica
· A stay on a Dude Ranch
· Toronto Zombie Walk
· A visit to "The Witch City"
· My first sci-fi con
· The 2007 Rollergirls Calvello Cup Derby
· Cave exploring in Mexico
· Sponsoring a WorldVision child
· Paintball !
· Swimming in a sulfur hot spring in Greece
· Riding a 7-person bike in St. Augustine

About My Pages: I've realized that a theme of music and bands may run throughout my pages; it seems I'm interested in that. I will also try to add as many photos of accommodations as I can to my travelogues--I know that people booking trips are very interested in these pics specifically.
I don't tend to write multiple tips about the exact same things (1 well-written tip per item) or goofy ones like, "Here's a cat that we saw". I know I'm too wordy in my tips sometimes; I'm working on fixing this. I occasionally append to the bottom of my tips: "Do Not Miss" (for something important that should be seen), "Bonus Tip" (for a small sidenote fact or activity), or "Do Not" (for something I know is a bad idea).
I use British/Canadian spelling for my writing here; hence all the extra "u"s in words ("favourite") and the occasional juxtaposition of "r" and "e" (centre).
I also seem to have some kind of obsession with adding dates to things. It's just as well, the reader will have a general idea how old the tip or photo they're reading is.

Back to School With You: To me, bad spelling is like bad math. 2 + 2 doesn't equal five no matter how loud you scream, right? So why is bad writing any different? People who aren't writing in their first language are forgiven from this. Please let me know about any typos or erroneous spelling mistakes you happen to see on my pages. On the same token, I don't usually respond to comments or e-mails that contain things like "r u" (are you), "ur" (you are), or "l8tr" (later). It just hurts my brain way too much.

Photos: All photos were taken by me or my travel companion at the time. Please don't steal them for dubious uses without permission.

"I'm A Million Different People From One Day To The Next..."

I've come to realize that the world is really good at telling you who you are and who you should be. A person can never be truly and completely free until they reject this notion 100% in its entirety. Don't just break the mold, break all the molds!

I've learned that I'm a traveller, a painter, a musician, a cowboy, a poet, a motorcyclist, a paintballer, a cook, a friend, a zip-liner, a surfer, an explorer, a lover, a historian, a comedian, a drunk, a nerd, a handiman, a writer, a video gamer, a hiker, an actor, a toastmaster, a punk rocker, a spaceman, a programmer, a photographer, and a superhero. ...And I will be more in the future.

With all that life offers, you don't have to choose one or two labels. ...And why should you? If you really open your mind and I mean truly and completely set it free, everything is possible. Just let go and a million possibilities will open up.

"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds."
- Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Is everyday life really so exciting? Are schools and offices so thrilling that I'm the only one who ever fantasized about this? Come on, be honest with yourself! At some point in our lives, we all wanted to be a superhero." - Kick Ass (2010)

My Rules to Live By (from "The Preacher" comic book):

- Don't take no s***t off fools.
- Judge a person by what's in 'em, not how they look.
- Do the right thing--you gotta be one of the good guys, 'cause there's way too many of the bad.

The VirutalTourism That Changed Everything

When I first joined VirtualTourist I thought it was just a travel web site where I'd post some pics of my travels and write a few fond memories for posterity. I had no idea that it would change my life so dramatically--that I'd end up with friends all over globe--people of all ages and cultures, that people would invite me to visit in faraway places, that I'd genuinely miss them and look forward to seeing them again and that they'd become a regular part of my life.

I've met hundreds of VTers in person now and been to more than a dozen group meets in a half-dozen different countries. When I meet a VTer for the first time it never feels awkward; more like I'm meeting an extended family member and can't wait to trade stories.

I honestly can't remember what I did with myself before VirtualTourist! How did I travel? What did I do with the time I spend here now? Nothing very interesting, that's for sure!

Me? "VT Hot Man of the Year 2005"?!

December 12, 2005: As nominated and democratically elected by emilienoelle and her lovely lady VT delegates, I have won the much coveted VirtualTourist "Hot Man of the Year" award. Thank you girls!
My special thanks go out to all the little people that made this possible--namely my hairstylist who can never fit me in so I end up cutting it myself, my dentist who doesn't know how to properly apply a bonding and it falls out one day before the big Toronto VT meet, my mom who let me drink coffee (even as a toddler) to help stunt my growth, and my parakeet that had emotional issues when I was 14 years-old.

Keep that CO2 Jet Fuel in Check, Bub!

Ever think about how much CO2 is produced each plane trip you do? The truth is, it's about 1 to 3 tonnes per person per trip! That'll cost you two trees to fix that mess. I'm trying to become a CarbonNeutral traveller and do my part to keep this world intact so others can enjoy it. I've already donated for a couple of trees in Rebel's Wood on the beautiful Isle of Skye in Scotland.

To learn more about CarbonNeutral travel visit:
................................................
The CarbonNeutral Company

www.carbonneutral.com

• Intro Updated Nov 7, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!