"Glasgow" Glasgow by Kaspian

Glasgow Travel Guide: 1,303 reviews and 2,363 photos

Travel Dates: August 21-22, 27-28 2005.

Glasgow (pronounced "glazz-go" and not "glass-cow", I was constantly reminded by my companion), is the largest city in Scotland with a population of 612,000. This was the city where I first set foot on Scottish soil in my triumphant return to the motherland of my ancestors. The name Glasgow comes from the Gaelic word "glas cu", meaning "green hollow". There are still massive green hills surrounding Glasgow, as it sits in the hollow making a harbour on the River Clyde.

On Glaswegian Humour and Traffic Cones

"Welcome to Glasgow, City of scaffolds and traffic cones!"....Was the way our airport bus driver loudly announced our arrival in the city centre. Indeed, the city was covered with little construction areas--rarely as we walked around was I not able to see one at least somewhere on my visual horizon. The second day we went for a walk and witnessed the scene in the photo to on the right. (It wasn't like this the day before.) The poor Duke of Wellington, conqueror of Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo, has been capped with a bright orange traffic cone; most likely by a drunk. Apparently this prank on Wellington has become an institution in Glasgow over the last 20 years and is now firmly rooted in the local humour. No sooner do the authorities remove a cone than another one magically appears overnight! They've given up taking it off and the people of the city are said to be somewhat disappointed when his head is bare. Poking fun at figures of authority and pompousness is an idea the Glaswegians have happily embraced. There has been talk of gluing the cone on permanently to prevent damage to the statue by climbers. Oh, and sometimes his horse wears one too!
Read more about Wellington and his cone.

The (All New) Glasgow Show 2005

It's pretty great dumb luck to walk right into a cool Scottish festival on your first day in the country! But we were fortunate enough to have this happen. As we got in so early (6:00 a.m.) and had been up all night, we were just wandering around dazed and visiting things as they opened. When we got to where the People's Palace was, we found it all fenced off for this festival. The Glasgow Show had pipers, agriculture tents, artisan tents,

Recommended Movie: "Ratcatcher" (1999).

• Pros:Tennents beer, very unpretentious locals, lots of garbage cans.
  • Cons:If you like the smell of malt, this city smells great! If not... it stinks.
  • Last visit to Glasgow: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 14, 2008

• TravellingSpirit's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2009 at 4:09 PM

My son informend me of the statistics after he was very badly beaten up in the city centre on a night out - not good. If you do a return visit give us a shout (that means let us know and you'd be welcome to stay)

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Ed, Good you pointed us to the conehead statue. I really overlooked that one at my Glasgow visit. PJ

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2008 at 10:05 PM

A city that I must revisit I think ;-)

• Acirfa's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2007 at 4:14 AM

Lots of info here. Am off to Glasgow for just a couple of days this week and so am planning what to cram in, your pages are a help.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2006 at 12:07 PM

wel i don't like beer - will glasgow disappoint?

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2006 at 7:05 AM

The difference is that I went to Split BEFORE I joined VT and you were in Montreal in 2005...and 2004... ;-) Guess I will have to go find my information somewhere else!

• Apr 27, 2006 at 10:38 PM

"Read more about Wellington and his cone" LOL!!! Must I??? It's a little early in the morning! :))

• GillianMcLaughlin's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2005 at 9:47 AM

Great intro to a city I love! The problem with taking photos at the Barras is that some of them may be selling stolen goods! Old saying - if you lose something in Glasgow through the week, you'll be able to buy it back at the weekend at the Barras.

• Birsen's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2005 at 2:56 PM

I would love to go Glasgow one day. Isn't it so green ? Well good start Edward I just saw you started on this new page. Greetings from Gran Canaria:))

Kaspian

“Be epic!”

Badges & Stats in Glasgow

Have you been to Glasgow?

Latest Activity in Glasgow