"Glasgow" Glasgow by Kaspian
Glasgow Travel Guide: 1,265 reviews and 2,152 photos
Travel Dates: August 21-22, 27-28 2005.
Glasgow (pronounced "glazz-go" and not "glass-cow", I was constantly reminded by my companion), is the largest city in Scotland with a population of 612,000. This was the city where I first set foot on Scottish soil in my triumphant return to the motherland of my ancestors. The name Glasgow comes from the Gaelic word "glas cu", meaning "green hollow". There are still massive green hills surrounding Glasgow, as it sits in the hollow making a harbour on the River Clyde.
"Welcome to Glasgow, City of scaffolds and traffic cones!"....Was the way our airport bus driver loudly announced our arrival in the city centre. Indeed, the city was covered with little construction areas--rarely as we walked around was I not able to see one at least somewhere on my visual horizon. The second day we went for a walk and witnessed the scene in the photo to on the right. (It wasn't like this the day before.) The poor Duke of Wellington, conqueror of Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo, has been capped with a bright orange traffic cone; most likely by a drunk. Apparently this prank on Wellington has become an institution in Glasgow over the last 20 years and is now firmly rooted in the local humour. No sooner do the authorities remove a cone than another one magically appears overnight! They've given up taking it off and the people of the city are said to be somewhat disappointed when his head is bare. Poking fun at figures of authority and pompousness is an idea the Glaswegians have happily embraced. There has been talk of gluing the cone on permanently to prevent damage to the statue by climbers. Oh, and sometimes his horse wears one too!
Read more about Wellington and his cone.
It's pretty great dumb luck to walk right into a cool Scottish festival on your first day in the country! But we were fortunate enough to have this happen. As we got in so early (6:00 a.m.) and had been up all night, we were just wandering around dazed and visiting things as they opened. When we got to where the People's Palace was, we found it all fenced off for this festival. The Glasgow Show had pipers, agriculture tents, artisan tents,
Recommended Movie: "Ratcatcher" (1999).
- Pros:Tennents beer, very unpretentious locals, lots of garbage cans.
- Cons:If you like the smell of malt, this city smells great! If not... it stinks.
Opened in 1898 as a cultural centre for the east end of Glasgow, the People's Palace is a museum that traces the history... more travel advice
Held every Saturday and Sunday 10:00 AM until 5:00 PM, the Barras Market is a gigantic outdoor and indoor flea market.... more travel advice
Kaspian's Related Pages
Glasgow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Glasgow Travel Tips - Scotland's Only "Real" City"
- "Keeping up Appearances"
- "City location"
- "Glasgow, Scotland"
- "A short stay in Glasgow"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glasgow
- Hotels in Glasgow
- Transportation in Glasgow
- Nightlife in Glasgow
- Restaurants in Glasgow
- Shopping in Glasgow
- Warnings and Dangers in Glasgow
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glasgow
- 4 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Glasgow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glasgow
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: What do you like to splurge..."
- Commented on one of TravellingSpirit's Glasgow travel pages
- updated a Glasgow Travel Page "Glasgow"
- Uploaded a Photo to "People's Palace and Winter Gardens"
- Wrote a Review People's Palace and Winter Gardens about People's Palace in Glasgow Things to Do
Photos in GlasgowSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Toronto Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 17 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cancún Intro, 29 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tulum Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 11 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tombstone Intro, 11 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Saint Augustine Intro, 6 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- North Bay Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos
- Halifax Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues