"London" London by Kaspian

London Travel Guide: 23,502 reviews and 49,605 photos

Travel Dates: August 25-27 2005, January 20-24 2006, November 11-12 2009.

I can't even believe I took this photo! It looks like a painting, but I swear it's completely untouched. It was at sunset and we were dashing like mad trying to get some photos of the clock tower (Big Ben) and the Houses of Parliament before the sun went down. Yep, it's a London cliche, but still--what a great pic. I'd always heard that the London Eye was spectacular at dusk, and it was, it completely was.

On My Second Visit

On my second visit I didn't have the stark contrast of Scotland to compare it to and I saw London in a completely new light. I liked it much better than my first time around... There's something living here under the streets--the ghosts of Saxons, Richard III, Jack the Ripper, the Sex Pistols. Covent Garden on a sunny day felt like everything the Ottawa market should be in an ideal world. Never mind how fantastic Camden Lock market was--with the smell of stir-fry foods in the air, billions of cool clothes on the racks, and calm dub reggae playing everywhere I turned.

Reflections More Than a Year Later

London is one of those places that when you look back on it, will beckon you to visit again--to see things you've already seen and to explore new parts of it. I often find myself at the oddest times and at almost random moments thinking, "Gawd, I wish I was London right now." And it seems I've developed a habit of telling people who don't travel much, "See London! If there's one place on earth you have to visit in this lifetime, it's there!" Then I suddenly realize what I've said and wonder where it came from. Is that really what I think?
And it's really not such a long plane ride from North America. ...Only 5 or 6 hours. Innit?

Recommended Movies: "Elizabeth" (1998), "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" (2007) , "The Queen" (2006), "From Hell" (2001).

• Pros:It lives up to its 'Cool London' title!
  • Cons:After watching the movie 'Creep', I'm kind of scared of the empty tube tunnels.
  • In a nutshell:Why does everybody have brand new shoes?
  • Last visit to London: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 8, 2011

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2013 at 3:16 AM

What an excellent page you have got here, Ed. The opening photo is so beautiful. I spent all in all 4 months in London recently.

• davesut's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2011 at 2:58 AM

Hey Ed, thanks for the ratings in Prcanj, nice to know somebody is reading them. See you in a few weeks, au revoir.PS do you think the bigger profile pic makes everyone a bit scary?

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Wonderful page! Thanks for your great information and pictures!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2010 at 2:35 PM

This large city has a lot of sites and never enough time to see them all; especially I would like to get to Temple Church one day. YOu described the sites very well.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2010 at 12:06 PM

I win!! Saturday (with windchill) is minus 9 which is 15.8!!! Bloody cold! Gillybob greetings

• twilightmuse's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2010 at 8:16 AM

You should add Green Street Holigans to your list of recommended movies. Have you seen it?

• goodfish's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2010 at 11:46 AM

GREAT SHOT! Lordy, I love London. I'd go right now if the exchange rate didn't suck. Fabulous city - so much history and so much to do. Not to mention the excellent pubs (hic)!

• TheLongTone's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2010 at 12:30 AM

We do use facecloths...or some people do. We call them flannels. But they are personal things, not something you'd expect in a hotel.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2009 at 8:19 PM

The only "North and South" I've seen is the John Jakes adaptation. Do you recommend watching it?

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2009 at 12:59 AM

yip london proper I even work inside the walled city - got to check out your gangster styling reviews on your chicago pages

Kaspian