"Arcos de la Frontera" Arcos de la Frontera by Kaspian

Arcos de la Frontera Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 166 photos

Travel Dates: May 11-12 2006.

Arcos de la Frontera (pronounced "Ark-ohs duh la Front-air-a") was undoubetly the prettiest of all the towns I visited while touring Andalucia. It was picturesque, quiet, and the air smelled fresh. This is where my travel companion and I agreed, "Now this feels like Spain."

Precariously perched on the edge of a sandstone cliff, the old town feels surreal and dreamlike. "Sandstone?!", you say, "Why doesn't it all just crumble down?" Well, apparently it does. Rumour at our hotel had it that another hotel and its occupants fell off several years ago.

On White Streets and Flower Boxes

I found myself taking dozens and dozens of photos on my walks, "Oh, look how beautiful that street is." [Click!] "Oh, there's another one!" [Click!]

On reviewing them later, I couldn't help but laugh out loud--"A white alley with flower boxes, another white alley with flower boxes, another white alley with flower boxes, oh look--this one has a cat in it! ...Another white alley with flower boxes..." But it's amazing. It's mazelike and beautiful.

Where's the Nightlife in the Dreamscape?

By 10:00 PM, the old town was silent. Only a handful of tourists linger in 3 or 4 restaurants wondering what they'll do for the rest of the evening. Indeed, between the occasional far-off roar of a motor scooter engine, I could hear crickets chirping. All of the nightclub action in Arcos is at the bottom of the hill, in the "new city". That's a shame. This would be such a perfect spot for late-night tables, and tapas, and pitchers of sangria, and singing, and riotous laughter.

• Pros:It's beyond picturesque.
  • Cons:It's steep and uphill in every direction. Bring your walkin' shoes!
  • Last visit to Arcos de la Frontera: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 6, 2006

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Hi I loved driving around the countryside here thru the villages etc &about 9pm finally finding myself&t the top of Arcos, getting a room at a 4th or 5th of the cost of the classy hotel there! with stunning walks&views the next morning!

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2006 at 2:43 PM

Very nice pics !! So much like Ronda :D

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2006 at 5:08 PM

Just got home and found a lovely surprise in my mailbox, thanks for thinking of me! XX K.

Kaspian

“Be epic!”

Badges & Stats in Arcos de la Frontera

Have you been to Arcos de la Frontera?

Latest Activity in Arcos de la Frontera