"Conil de la Frontera" Top 5 Page for this destination Conil de la Frontera by Kaspian

Conil de la Frontera Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 147 photos

Travel Dates: May 9-11 2006.

Beaches, Blue Water, and Wildflowers...

Those are the things I remember most about Conil de la Frontera.

This little, white town has almost an unfinished feel about it. It's streets, alleys, and restaurants are not quite as polished and organized as other similar sized towns I visited. Patches of bright red, yellow, white, and purple wildflowers explode from empty lots and up from the cracks between the sidewalks. Hotels are spread apart, they aren't fighting for real estate here.

Down on the beach, the winds from Africa rage. Striking the cliffs at the shore, they blow giant sand clouds that shoot 100 feet in the air. Beach-goers seek refuge in small dunes but the sand penetrates everything. Flying pebbles sting against your skin from the velocity of the air.

It's early-May, the sun is warm, the ocean is still cool; too cold for the locals to enjoy, but warm enough for a blue-blooded Canadian like me to swim, float, and splash around for a few minutes. The powerful southerly winds feel great when I get out. I am dry within a minute.

Other than the incessant background whine of scooters, the town of Conil is quiet--on the beach, downtown, at the hotel, and in the tavernas. The people were friendly. The girl at the drugstore helps me find a cream with analgesic in it for my companion who's come down with sunstroke from a heat rash. The young woman at a bodega serves me coffee as quickly as I can drink them. The man at the petrol station talks on the phone and doesn't acknowledge my existence as he accepts my money for my supplies--two beers, a chocolate bar, and a tube of Pringles chips. ...Can't win them all.

• Pros:Not touristy at all.
  • Last visit to Conil de la Frontera: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 18, 2006

• alucas's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2006 at 11:38 PM

We went through there ! May 13-15 ! Stayed along the coast at Novi Sancti Petri

Kaspian

“Be epic!”

Badges & Stats in Conil de la Frontera

Have you been to Conil de la Frontera?

Latest Activity in Conil de la Frontera