"Juayua" Juayùa by Kaspian

Juayùa Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 104 photos

Travel Dates: February 25 2011.

As our mini-bus pulls into the small, colourful village of Juayua and the tour announcer states that we will have time to get out, take some photos, walk around a bit, buy some souvenirs if we want, and change into our swimsuits for the waterfalls visit later, all the passengers aboard sigh happily and stand up in anticipation. For most of us this will be our first real interaction with El Salvadorian culture. ...And the town looks so damn pretty we can't wait! Personally, I'm very much relieved because I need an auditory break from the loud, jabbering French-Canadian group sitting at the back of the bus who keep bragging to our guide about how good skiing is back home. What's up with that?! They miss the snow or something? I also need to buy a couple packs of smokes. Marlboro Reds... Mustn't forget that.

Colourful Town

Besides the nearby cascades, which I believe are the primary reason people would end up in this village, the main draw to this town is its weekly "Feria Gastronomica" (food festival) occuring every Saturday and Sunday. It's also an artistic wonder--many of Juayua's shops and restaurants exteriors are painted by local artists with bright, colourful murals depicting people, animals, jungle scenes, flowers, politics, and all sorts of other things. I've been to several Latin American countries now and I've never seen this type of art anywhere other than in El Salvador. The people have a real propensity to depict images where other places would just paint a building one or two solid colours and be done with it.

Juayua is part of "La Ruta de Flores" ("The Route of Flowers"), a 40km long stretch of winding road that passes through several old colonial towns. I was astounded that along this road, almost every single telephone pole was painted decoratively with, you guessed it, flowers.

• Last visit to Juayùa: Feb 2011