"A Weekend in Istanbul" Istanbul by duncanburt
Istanbul Travel Guide: 7,829 reviews and 20,234 photos
Istanbul - a city across two continents.
There is so much to see and do in Istanbul. So much history and culture to absorb. So many bars to chill out in, so bmany restaurants to enjoy Turkish food.
However it is possible to see the highlights on this wonderful city in a long weekend.
In my must see and travelouge pages I have summerised what is possible in a long weekend - say midday Friday till midday Monday
To make the most of Istanbul stay in one of the Special Class Hotels which are renovated and converted old wooden Otoman Houses.
Take the time to stroll around the old city and take in the sights and sounds.
By far the easiest way to get around Istanbul is by Taxi.
There are so many taxi you never have to wait long and they are just so cheap by European Standards.
Even better if you can speak a little Turkish, just so the driver knows not to try and rip you off.
Having said that we have never had a problem with Istanbul taxis, just be prepared to sit in traffic jams and relax and take in the Istanbul street life
- Pros:So much history, atmosphere and culture to absorb
- Cons:Some hassle from carpet and leather touts
- In a nutshell:Learn a little Turkish and Istanbul can come alive !
Take a ride on one of the historic trams from Tunel to Taksim Square. Then take a walk around Taksim Square and view... more travel advice
Written Aug 30, 2004
How to see Istanbul in a Weekend
Written Sep 10, 2004
Views from The Galata Tower
duncanburt's Related Pages
Istanbul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "STROLLING THROUGH ISTANBUL"
- "The only city in the world build in 2 continents"
- "Istanbul not/and Constantinople"
- "istanbul tips"
- "My Beloved Istanbul"
- "Beauty, Culture, & History - All In One Place!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Istanbul
- Hotels in Istanbul
- Transportation in Istanbul
- Nightlife in Istanbul
- Restaurants in Istanbul
- Shopping in Istanbul
- Warnings and Dangers in Istanbul
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Istanbul
- 6 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Istanbul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Istanbul
- Posted in Travel Turkey Forum "RE: RE: How close is Ankara..."
- updated a Istanbul Travelogue "Views from The Galata Tower"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Views from The Galata Tower"
- Commented on one of MalenaN's Istanbul travel pages
- Wrote a Review Scaled down Grand Bazaar about Egyptian (Spice) Market in Istanbul Things to Do
Photos in IstanbulSee All Photos (25)
Top 5 Pages
- Dogubayazit Intro, 16 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ankara Intro, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kars Ili Intro, 1 review, 31 photos, 4 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turunc Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
Latest Istanbul hotel reviews
- All Seasons Hotel
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- The Golden Horn Hotel
- 268 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- Istanbul Paris Hostel
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 4, 2013
- Hotel Pera Capitol
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Avlonya Hotel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 27, 2012
- Misafir Suites
- 132 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 16, 2013
- Historia Hotel
- 216 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Asmali Konak Hotel (Turkish Mansion)
- 186 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 13, 2013
- Sirkeci Konak Hotel
- 1699 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Budo Hotel Istanbul
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 14, 2013
- Radisson SAS Conference & Airport Hotel
- 218 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Golden Crown Hotel
- 105 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 27, 2013
- Faros Hotel Istanbul
- 412 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Adora Hotel
- 347 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Adamar Hotel
- 414 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013