"My adopted hometown" Top 5 Page for this destination Kalamazoo by FletchInEuropeYahoo

Kalamazoo Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 79 photos

College town

I moved to Kalamazoo in 1978 to attend college. There are four in this city: Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo College, Davenport University, and Kalamazoo Valley Community College. It's a lot of fun if you're that age as there's always a party somewhere and the bars are full of college-age kids.

Arts and culture

When you're done partying, there's the Kalamazoo Institute of Art. Changing exhibits keep this facility interesting. A Chihuly chandelier hangs in the foyer.

Bronson Park, just kitty-corner from the KIA, has some wonderful scupture, too. In the middle of the park is a fountain with a sculpture "The Children May Safely Play" by Kirk Newman.

On the same corner as KIA is the Civic Theater. This beautiful old building hosts a lively season of entertainment by both adults and youth. There are several other theaters in the downtown area.

For summer stock, the Barn Theater in nearby Augusta fits the bill.

The Kalamazoo Valley Museum downtown explores the area's history and industrial base.

Downtown area

When I moved here 26 years ago, downtown hosted hookers on the street corners, a strip bar, a run-down Hilton, and a dying shopping area. Today I'm happy to say the area is being resurrected. There are new and renovated buildings, including the Kalamazoo Center, now housing a Radisson as well as several upscale shops, restaurants, and outside dining areas. The Arcadia Creek area includes the new festival site and bandshell, where multiple fests are held every summer.

• Pros:Always something to do, even after 26 years here.
  • Cons:Traffic on south Westnedge is thick.
  • In a nutshell:Great place to raise your children
  • Last visit to Kalamazoo: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 9, 2004

• ernie01's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2007 at 6:53 AM

Thanks for the tip. I grew up just a couple of miles north of the Museum and I guess we all took it for granted. After reading your tip I think I'll go out there.

• KalamazooJohn's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2004 at 2:56 PM

We love Cosmo's, too. Breakfast on Sunday, with a Bloody Mary is the Bomb!

FletchInEuropeYahoo

“To boldly go where I have never gone before”

Badges & Stats in Kalamazoo

Have you been to Kalamazoo?

Latest Activity in Kalamazoo