"The Monastery" Batalha by bambino36
Batalha Travel Guide: 113 reviews and 454 photos
The village of Batalha is located 12 Km away from Leiria.
The name and the life of Batalha is closely related with the history of its monastery of Santa Maria da Vitória.
Three years after the Battle of Aljubarrota (check my Porto de Mós page) the construction of the monastery began, in fulfilment of the promise made by King D. João I to the Virgin Mary. He promised to built a Temple if he could win the battle against Castilla.
The monastery is classified by UNESCO as World Heritage. This Monastery was one of the first ones to be decorated in manuelin style.
Master Huguet built this portal between 1402 and 1438, which is composed of three bodies. Notice the statues of the... more travel advice
Inside the Unfinished Chapels can be found the tomb of the first king of the Avis dynasty, D. Duarte, lying here hand in... more travel advice
bambino36's Related Pages
Batalha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Batalha, Portugal"
- "Batalha - UNESCO site"
- "VT TOUR TO BATALHA"
- "Batalha - [The "Batlle"]"
- "The Monastery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Batalha
- Hotels in Batalha
- Transportation in Batalha
- Restaurants in Batalha
- Shopping in Batalha
- Warnings and Dangers in Batalha
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Batalha
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Batalha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Batalha
- Posted in Travel Europe Forum "RE: RE: New Years Eve in Central..."
- Commented on one of ania70pl's Batalha travel pages
- Wrote a Review Batalha Monastery - Front Portal in Batalha Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Batalha Monastery - Tomb of D. Duarte & Da. Leonor"
- created a Batalha Travel Page "The Monastery"
Photos in BatalhaSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 49 reviews, 55 photos
- Berlin Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 15 reviews, 37 photos
- Tallinn Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos
- Porto Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos
- Brugge Intro, 16 reviews, 28 photos
- Bayona Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Sintra Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Valença Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Torres Vedras Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos