"The Roman Ruins of Conimbriga" Top 5 Page for this destination Ruínas de Conimbriga by bambino36
Ruínas de Conimbriga Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 119 photos
The ancient city of Conimbriga is the largest Roman settlement in Portugal.
Before the romans came there was a celt village in this location and there are archaeological evidence that Conimbriga was inhabited between the 9th century BC and the 7th/8th century AD.
What we see today is a Roman City founded in the second
half of the 1st century BC.
During the 3rd century AD, under the threat of the barbaric invasions, the fortified wall was built, however it wasn't enough and, in the year 468 AD, the Suabii captured the town, abandoned by part of its population.
The first signs of interest for Conimbriga are found during the Renaissance. In 1519 King D. Manuel makes public aware of his fascination with the ruins. Nowadays Conimbriga is an area
designated as national monument.
This house is the one where the mosaics are better preserved and can be admired. more travel advice
The aqueduct has 3,5Km long til Alcabideque, where water was captured, and ended in a distribution tower near the arch. more travel advice
bambino36's Related Pages
Ruínas de Conimbriga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "From Coimbra to Conimbriga"
- "check out the Roman city in Portugal"
- "Roman ruins look good even today"
- "The Roman Ruins of Conimbriga"
- "Ruinas de Conimbriga"
- "Ruínas de Conimbriga"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ruínas de Conimbriga
- Transportation in Ruínas de Conimbriga
- Restaurants in Ruínas de Conimbriga
- See All...
Explore the World
- Geraldton Hotels
- Terre Haute
- Seaton Carew Hotels
- Krems an der Donau
- Conil de la Frontera
- Province of Rizal
- Cu Chi Hotels
- Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Hotels
- Vishakhapatnam Hotels
- Provincia de La Altagracia
- Parian Hotels
- Shanghai Shi
Badges & Stats in Ruínas de Conimbriga
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Ruínas de Conimbriga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ruínas de Conimbriga
- Posted in Travel Europe Forum "RE: RE: New Years Eve in Central..."
- Commented on one of Witinha's Ruínas de Conimbriga travel pages
- Wrote a Review Mosaics in the House of the Fountains in Ruínas de Conimbriga Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mosaics in the House of the Fountains"
- created a Ruínas de Conimbriga Travel Page "The Roman Ruins of Conimbriga"
Photos in Ruínas de ConimbrigaSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 49 reviews, 55 photos
- Berlin Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 15 reviews, 37 photos
- Tallinn Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos
- Porto Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos
- Brugge Intro, 16 reviews, 28 photos
- Bayona Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Sintra Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Valença Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Torres Vedras Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos