"Monsanto Historical Village" Monsanto by bambino36
Monsanto Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 142 photos
Monsanto derives from the latin Monte Santo (Holy Mountain), because it was considered a holy place and a refuge due to it's geographical location.
This village is famous for being the "most portuguese" village of Portugal and in fact it was once ... in a contest promoted by the central government!
Proudly on top of the steep hill, Monsanto makes the visit difficult, forcing a breath-taking climb to reach it.
Old place, with human presence since the paleolithic, Monsanto distinguishes itself for its people, less more than a hundred that proudly try to defend and preserve its traditions and its identity.
On top of the tower is a rooster in silver, the symbolic prize for being the most portuguese village of Portugal. more travel advice
bambino36's Related Pages
Monsanto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Portugal's 'Most Portugese' Village ?"
- "Monsanto - a beautiful village in Portugal"
- "Nature and architecture meet"
- "Monsanto - Portugal"
- "Monsanto Historical Village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monsanto
- Hotels in Monsanto
- Transportation in Monsanto
- Restaurants in Monsanto
- Warnings and Dangers in Monsanto
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Monsanto
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Monsanto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monsanto
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 49 reviews, 55 photos
- Berlin Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 15 reviews, 37 photos
- Tallinn Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos
- Porto Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos
- Brugge Intro, 16 reviews, 28 photos
- Bayona Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Sintra Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Valença Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Torres Vedras Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos