"The island of the golden sand" Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Santo Island by bambino36
Porto Santo Island Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 170 photos
João Gonçalves Zarco and Tristão Vaz Teixeira discovered the island of Porto Santo in 1418 during the reign of Dom João I of Portugal.
According to records the island was at first named ‘Holy Port’ by its discoverers as they found shelter here from a storm that was chasing them.
Situated in the northern hemisphere on the 32º latitude, its territory of about 42 square kilometres is almost completely covered with calcareous matter, especially on the northern side. It is secured on limestone, which is visible in several places. The island is adorned with peaks, almost all to the north, the highest of which is ‘Pico do Facho’.
Being one of the islands constituting the archipelago of Madeira, Porto Santo is amazingly different from the island of Madeira. Whilst lush green predominates in Madeira, Porto Santo is almost stripped of vegetation and the southern coast is bordered by a 9 km long beach of soft golden sand, which makes it a highly esteemed resort area.
Porto Santo is great to enjoy relaxing holidays beacause the island always maintains an air of tranquillity. The moderate climate felt all year round helps a lot too...
This ferry connects Madeira Island to Porto Santo. There are daily sailings (except tuesdays) to Porto Santo Island from... more travel advice
Every ship arriving to the archipelago when coming from the east will see this lighthouse before anything else. It's... more travel advice
bambino36's Related Pages
Porto Santo Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Porto Santo Island - Recreation for soul and body"
- "porto santo"
- "The island of the golden sand"
- "A day trip to Porto Santo"
- "Porto Santo"
- "PORTO SANTO"
- "Rob Craig on the tiny island of Porto Santo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Porto Santo Island
- Hotels in Porto Santo Island
- Transportation in Porto Santo Island
- Nightlife in Porto Santo Island
- Restaurants in Porto Santo Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Porto Santo Island
- 6 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Porto Santo Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Porto Santo Island
Photos in Porto Santo IslandSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 49 reviews, 55 photos
- Berlin Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 15 reviews, 37 photos
- Tallinn Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos
- Porto Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos
- Brugge Intro, 16 reviews, 28 photos
- Bayona Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Sintra Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Valença Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Torres Vedras Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos