""Terras de Cervaria" (Land of the Stags)" Vila Nova da Cerveira by bambino36
Vila Nova da Cerveira Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 21 photos
Vila Nova de Cerveira is located on the portuguese side of the Minho river. The historical center comprises the castle, old churches and old buildings which deserve a close look.
The name of the village it's explained by a legend.
Once upon a time... there was a stag (deer) that was chosen by the Gods of Olympo to become a King. And so the stag decided to move, together with other stags, to this uninhabitated territory that then began to be known as "Terras de Cervaria" (Land of the Stags). Many years flew past. Fights, skirmishes and disasters gradually devastated the colony until only the King Stag was left. According to the legend, when the noblemen from Asturias came down during the Reconquest to conquer what was to become the Condado Portucalense, a young noblemen challenged the King Stag to a face-to-face duel. And the old Lord accepted. The duel took place among trees and weeds in a trenched site. And, so the story tells, the King Stag swept to victory! He kept the nobleman's flag that became the King's coat of arms. But the Gods deceived the old King. He wouldn't be immortal... Tired of living and ill, the old Lord died in the loneliness of the crags and with him disappeared for good the Terra da Cervaria.
But the story wasn't forgotten and the Vila Nova de Cerveira coat-of-arms still bears a golden passant stag in silver armour standing in a green field.
This chapel stands on top of the mountain near the famous metallic Cervo (Stag) and has a great view over the river... more travel advice
From the Castle it's possible to have an excellent view over the river Minho and Galicia more travel advice
bambino36's Related Pages
Vila Nova da Cerveira Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Vila Nova da Cerveira
- Hotels in Vila Nova da Cerveira
- Nightlife in Vila Nova da Cerveira
- See All...
Explore the World
- Nanakuli Hotels
- West Kalimantan Province
- Santa Monica
- Province of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Estréboeuf Hotels
- Parry Sound Hotels
- Île de Ré
- Sangandaan Hotels
- Mangpu Hotels
- Province of Bohol
- Zell am Harmersbach
- Ennerdale Water Hotels
Badges & Stats in Vila Nova da Cerveira
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Vila Nova da Cerveira?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vila Nova da Cerveira
- Posted in Travel Europe Forum "RE: RE: New Years Eve in Central..."
- Wrote a Review Capela de Nossa Senhora da Encarnação in Vila Nova da Cerveira Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Forte de Lovelhe (Lovelhe Fortress)"
- updated a Vila Nova da Cerveira Travel Page ""Terras de Cervaria" (Land of the Stags)"
Photos in Vila Nova da CerveiraSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 49 reviews, 55 photos
- Berlin Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 15 reviews, 37 photos
- Tallinn Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos
- Porto Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos
- Brugge Intro, 16 reviews, 28 photos
- Bayona Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Sintra Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Valença Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Torres Vedras Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
Latest Vila Nova da Cerveira hotel reviews
- Hotel Turismo Do Minho
- 1 Review & Opinion