"Spain's Legacy: Catholic Churches" Laoag City by yellowbell
Laoag City Travel Guide: 154 reviews and 508 photos
Laoag, the capital of Ilocos Norte, means light in the local dialect. The region is blessed with mostly sunny and arid weather.
For Filipinos, Ilocos evokes a memory of their past president, Marcos and of course her equally (in)famous wife Imelda. Imeldific is now a word in Webster dictionary which means extravagant.
A trip to Laoag and it's neighboring towns like Paoay, Batac and Sarrat will not be complete without visiting the Baroque churches.
Most prominent of these churches is St. Augustine Church or what locals call Paoay church, a UNESCO world heritage site (please see related tip). Notice the large flying buttresses, fashioned into external stairways.
If you have travelled by plane to Laoag, chances are you missed Vigan (capital of Ilocos Sur). In Vigan, time seemed to have stopped in the 19th century because of some 150 stone houses, popularly known as the Heritage Village.
- Pros:varied landscape (sand dunes, sea, mountains), plazas, well-preserved stone churches
- Cons:laidback lifestlyle, only tricycles/jeeps can be hired unless you take a private guided tour
- In a nutshell:Glorious past
The Marcos museum which houses the late Pres. Marcos' personal effects and pictures during his entire political and... more travel advice
Not to be missed when you go to the Ilocos region is the Marcos Mausoleum. Ferdinand Marcos was the president of the... more travel advice
yellowbell's Related Pages
Laoag City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Laoag City"
- "Jump off to Ilocos Norte"
- "LAOAG-Gateway to the North"
- "A place you wouldn't want to leave ..."
- "Ilocos Norte"
- "Ciudad ti Lawag"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Laoag City
- Hotels in Laoag City
- Transportation in Laoag City
- Nightlife in Laoag City
- Restaurants in Laoag City
- Shopping in Laoag City
- Warnings and Dangers in Laoag City
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Laoag City
- 8 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Laoag City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Laoag City
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination City of Manila Intro, 21 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Denver Intro, 12 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- Makati Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baguio City Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shanghai Shi Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos
- Boracay Island Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Corregidor Island Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 12 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davao Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (54)
Top Laoag City hotels
- Laoag Hotels
- 39 Reviews - 112 Photos