"Simply no place like home, Manila!" Top 5 Page for this destination City of Manila by yellowbell
City of Manila Travel Guide: 3,095 reviews and 8,798 photos
Whenever Manila is mentioned, the speaker unknowingly refers to a vast conglomeration of 12 cities and five municipalities. This conglomeration is called Metro Manila. Foreigners would normally confine themselves to Makati (Central Commercial Business District), Mandaluyong and Ortigas (next to posh Makati in terms of aggregation of offices of large corporations), and Quezon City (former capital of the Philippines).
Foremost among the attractions in the heart of Manila is Intramuros (Walled City) where Fort Santiago (including Rizal Shrine), San Agustin Church/Museum, Manila Cathedral, and Palacio del Gobernador can be found. Next to Intramuros is Malate/Ermita Area where you can find the newly-cleaned up Roxas Blvd (now called Baywalk with its al fresco restaurants), Rizal Park, Metropolitan Museum, Cultural Center of the Philippines, and Coconut Palace.
Day tour - Corregidor and Tagaytay
Easy 2-3 day beach destination - Puerto Galera (3 hours by bus and 1 hour ferry from Manila)
2-3 day mountainous route with cool pine scent - Baguio (6-7 hours by bus from Manila or 45 minutes via a small commercial plane)
If you have a week:
Less frenetic city life and beach resorts - you can opt to directly fly to Cebu (an international hub).
Touristy and white-sand beach - Boracay Beach (50 minutes by plane from Manila)
Well-preserved Spanish churches/village - Vigan and Laoag (10 hours by bus or 50 mins by plane from Manila)
If you're in an archipelago like the Philippines, better go island hopping. You can go via a ferry, a yacht or an outrigger boat!
As Manila Bay is famous for it sunset, walk along that strip, enjoy the music of local bands and dine al fresco in the restaurants that lined the bay area. Since it's usually busy on weekend nights, at least spend your morning viewing the joggers and kids on bikes. Some of the restaurants by the bay offer breakfast.
Soak in the sun and the sea air!
Churches are just as ubiquitous as the jeeps in Manila. On the picture is the all-steel Gothic church of San Sebastian in Quiapo, Manila. The church has for its patron, the Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. Notice the rose stained glass windows, the spires and ribbed vaults (roof).
Check out my article "How to beat the heat in Manila"
- Pros:historic churches, Manila Bay sunset, fortified walls, jeeps, vibrant Bohemian life
The Philippines is known as the Pearl of the Orient*. Here different kinds of pearls abound - mother of pearl, fresh... more travel advice
Paco Park houses in its stone-walled compound the following: Pancratius chapel, a little cemetery (remains of Dr. Jose... more travel advice
yellowbell's Related Pages
City of Manila Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Home Sweet Home"
- "Manila - Capital of the Philippines"
- "Simply no place like home, Manila!"
- "Manila and more"
- "take a deep breath, open your eyes"
- "Exploring Metro Manila"
- See All...
- Things to Do in City of Manila
- Hotels in City of Manila
- Transportation in City of Manila
- Nightlife in City of Manila
- Restaurants in City of Manila
- Shopping in City of Manila
- Warnings and Dangers in City of Manila
- See All...
Badges & Stats in City of Manila
- 35 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to City of Manila?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in City of Manila
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination City of Manila Intro, 21 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Denver Intro, 12 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- Makati Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baguio City Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shanghai Shi Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos
- Boracay Island Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Corregidor Island Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 12 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davao Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos