"Colombo the city where i live" Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo by srupesh

Colombo Travel Guide: 388 reviews and 861 photos

Welcome to Colombo

Hi! My friends

As you know I live in Colombo, I would like to say few words on my city. I like to begin with normal information like others do. And also by going away form the odds I like to say more details that will enable them to for successful and good journey in Colombo which indirectly goes with the Colombo city.

I know this is really strange idea but I like to do or approach things differently. As I am a new member please help me to correct my mistakes and go ahead. Your comments are welcomed please post a message or send me mail for my encouragement of building a good site. This page consists of the following topics or categories.

1. Introduction
11. Festivals
12. Tips and Traps
13. Off the beaten Track

Introduction

The Colombo is the metropolitan capital or city of Sri Lanka. It was the former capital of Sri Lanka from 1815 to late 1980. The Colombo was declared as the capital by the British rulers who ruled the Ceylon (how formerly known) a way back. Currently the capital of the Sri Lanka is Sri Jayawardenapura kotte, where our parliament is also situated.

History

A long time ago a huge mango tree stood in the city. Its mangoes sizes were really big and they were in the size of it leaves. The natives pronounced as “COLA – AMBA” meaning leaf size mango. But the English people found it really difficult pronounce and spelt it has Colombo. From then and up to now the name remains as now. And Colombo becomes more popular day by day.

The Facilities

The Colombo has every sort of facility the travelers don’t need to worry about the facilities. You can find cyber cafes or browsing centers and communication to browse and take international calls to your loved ones. You can find plenty of super markets and other category shops to do shopping.

I can proudly say that every latest technology, gadgets or equipments comes to Sri Lanka first when comparing with the other South Asian countries due to its open economy policy.

Foe example I would like to talk on the medical facilities. They are really good both in the General Hospitals owned by the State and Private Hospitals. Both have all new medicines, equipments and plenty of specialist doctors. I do agree that most of them complain about the service that state owned hospital give have to be improved by greater means.

How Modernized

It has every sort structures from Sky Scrapers to Massive Shopping Complex. Every new technology comes very quickly to Colombo city. You can buy almost every essential thing that you could buy in your own local super markets and shops.

The Colombo shops even have international brands too, so enjoy shopping. Even you can do small shopping (for essential items only) when you go to fuel station which has mini super markets. The fuel station super market is the quite new to the city.

Description of the Important Roads

I am including this part as I felt this would help any body willing to come to Sri Lanka or anyone wants to know about Colombo. This will make their journey easy to navigate by their own self not depending on others or guides, maps and other means. I am starting with Colombo. Your comments are welcomed.

Every traveler say there is nothing to see in the Colombo city I do agree with them up to certain limit. There few places scattered around the Colombo a traveler could go but not popular don’t know why? May be they are not focused much. I would like to mention some them which I consider the best for a traveler and essential.

The Colombo is divided (not physically) for official purpose by 1- 15. It is addressed by adding a no at the end of Colombo (e.g.: Colombo #). It is easy to me tell about roads in that way to which you have to travel or forced to travel. I won’t be going in to every road or every part of Colombo only the important ones.

Under each Colombo category there are plenty of the roads. In every Colombo part I would be going to only the important roads you have to travel.

In these travelogues I would be mentioning the attractions of Colombo too. I hope this information will help the travelers to go around the Colombo city. I hope in the future the travelers will be saying at least some thing there to see in Colombo city.

Check the Travelogues for more information.

• Pros:Simply you can find every thing what u need
  • Cons:Another Metropolitan City
  • In a nutshell:The city of Every Thing & Every Nature
  • Intro Updated Dec 20, 2004

• shawnbrito's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2009 at 3:37 AM

Personally I prefer to see these animals in their natural habitat than see them in tiny cages.. I would not recommend a foreigner going to the Dehiwela Zoo as they have far superior zoological gardens in their own respective country.

• irishgalmtl's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2007 at 1:42 AM

Hello there Rupesh, Great tips for the local custumes expecial booking bus rides in advance ...Donna

• pink63's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2005 at 2:48 AM

I hope to be there asap.

• glennkasner's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2005 at 6:18 AM

Nice, interesting pages. I'll be back for more!

• Dec 18, 2004 at 11:10 AM

Hi, I found your pages very helpful and a delight to read. I am really looking forward to my upcoming visit to your beautiful country!

• Dialing's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2004 at 1:42 AM

Salut Rupesh! Very interesting and well structured presentation of Sri Lanka and Colombo! Should be a terrific city to explore! G'Day!

• BarbaraForza's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2004 at 12:00 AM

You are offering a complete and informative page on Colombo, a very good work indeed! Thank you!

• irisbe's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2004 at 10:57 PM

A very practical page ! The transportation trips are so very interesting. I spotted quite some things I missed on my trip. Maybe one day if lucky I can look them up `-) Nice page!

• K.Knight's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2004 at 4:23 AM

Rupesh, you have vreated a lovely page here. You need to create a must see...Sri Lanka and Australia in the cricket! G'day from Australia

• thecatsmeow's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2004 at 8:22 PM

Rupesh you have built a great page with many good tips. I like to try to visit a zoo where ever we go so I am glad you mentioned your cities. =^oo^=

srupesh Lives Here!

srupesh

“Travel for Relaxtion & Disovery”

Badges & Stats in Colombo

Have you been to Colombo?

Latest Activity in Colombo