"Shanghai - 1999" Shanghai by frank_delargy
Shanghai Travel Guide: 3,044 reviews and 8,029 photos
OK. Firstly, It takes a long (very long) time to get to Shanghai from Boston. When I arrived I was a bit disoriented, but I have to say that all my fears of going to a communist country (mostly US indoctrination and fear if the unknown) were gradually removed as the day progressed.
Turns out my luggage didn't arrive with me, so that was a big bummer.. I have to say that a day later, the airline, were nice enough to deliver my luggage to my hotel.
I actually visited Shanghai twice and although there was only a few weeks between visits, my second visit felt much more relaxed.
Shanghai is a very large city and I understand that it has the most high rise buildings of any city in the world. This is pretty obvious when you drive around. In 1999 most of these large new buildings we still 1/2 empty and they were building scores more.
China was clearly putting a lot of effort into modernizing Shanghai. I saw more Kentucky Fried Chicken stores than I did 'rickshaws'.
- Pros:Lots of things to see and do. Friendly people, good bargains.
- Cons:far away (for me).
- In a nutshell:A bustling metropolis that is China's showpiece to the rest of the world of its modernization.
Yuyuan market is near the old god's temple of the old city center of Shanghai. The most significant things here are Yu... more travel advice
frank_delargy's Related Pages
Shanghai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sex and the city... so to speak."
- "Essence of Shanghai"
- "Shanghai! Its a lively city"
- "Shanghai - a classic blend of the old and the new"
- "5 Days in Shanghai"
- "Check out my blog - www.shanghai-eats.com"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shanghai
- Hotels in Shanghai
- Transportation in Shanghai
- Nightlife in Shanghai
- Restaurants in Shanghai
- Shopping in Shanghai
- Warnings and Dangers in Shanghai
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Shanghai
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Shanghai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shanghai
Top 10 Pages
- Costa Rica Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monument Valley State Park Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort William Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Sand Dunes National Monument Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Island of Mull Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Acton Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Scotland Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Concord Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Monteverde Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (4)
Latest Shanghai hotel reviews
- Asset Hotel
- 134 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Miramar Apartments
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 18, 2013
- Li Du Hotel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 10, 2011
- Hanting Hotel (Shanghai Nanpu Bridge )
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- New Harbour Serviced Apartments Shanghai
- 275 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Shanghai Xi Jiao Hotel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 21, 2011
- Brightway Hotel Shanghai
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Dec 15, 2012
- Pudong Shangri La Shanghai
- 478 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Pudong
- 119 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- An Ting Villa Hotel Shanghai
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Millennium Hongqiao Shanghai
- 83 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Panorama Century Court Shanghai
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Nanhuayuan Holiday Resort
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Shanghai Lintong Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 8, 2010