"Monument Valley" Top 5 Page for this destination Monument Valley State Park by frank_delargy
Monument Valley State Park Travel Guide: 358 reviews and 1,124 photos
We arrived at mid-afternoon with some time to check into the hotel (Gouldings) before taking the drive through the heart of monument valley in the hours before sunset. The picture above is of sunrise, but rest assured, the light is just gorgeous in the late afternoon.
The 17 mile drive through the most picturesque part of Monument Valley is accessed by going to the Visitors Center which is run by the local Navajo Tribe. The whole park is on the Navajo Nation. While here, be sure to engage with the locals.. you will learn a lot about the current situation of the American Native peoples. They have a different way of doing things and are not as eager to jump into modernization or 'progress' as we know it. They do not have the same sense of aesthetics that you might be used to, but that is not a bad thing.. their aesthetics are more in tune with the whole environment. When you see the 'strip mall' of restaurants and gift shops run by the Navajo on the way into the park entrance, you will know what I mean.
More at http://delargy.com .
Some people take Navajo guides who drive them through the park in truck/trailers and to some 'private spots'.. Maybe next time we will do that, but this time we took our rental all-wheel drive on the red dust roads and just enjoyed the heck out it.
Take your time, drive slow, park & walk and bring water and a camera.
This mini-map gives a good overview of the valley and surrounding area. The road though the monument proper is a dirt road, but well maintained and in general good condition. If you have the time, stop often and walk.
- Pros:Awesome Scenery, Chance to meet the Navajo, you can easily get away from the crowd if you walk
- Cons:Only one place to stay, might be filled up.
- In a nutshell:Some of the most inspiring desert scenery in the world.
Ah yes, what serendipity that this old tree provided the perfect sitting spot for viewing and photo opportunities. And... more travel advice
near the middle of the loop road we saw these horses grazing in the fields. I don't know if they are 'wild', but I... more travel advice
frank_delargy's Related Pages
Monument Valley State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Monument Valley - May You Walk In Beauty"
- "Monument Valley State Park"
- "Monument Valley"
- "Monument Valley: Time to Step Up"
- "MONUMENT VALLEY NAVAJO TRIBAL PARK"
- "Jumping Around Monument Valley!"
- "Fabulous Cowboy Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monument Valley State Park
- Hotels in Monument Valley State Park
- Transportation in Monument Valley State Park
- Nightlife in Monument Valley State Park
- Restaurants in Monument Valley State Park
- Shopping in Monument Valley State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Monument Valley State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monument Valley State Park
- 17 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Monument Valley State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monument Valley State Park
- Posted in Travel State of Sabah Forum "Re: Need help with suggestions..."
- updated a Monument Valley State Park Travel Page "Monument Valley"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The convenient log near the entrance"
- Wrote a Review The convenient log near the entrance in Monument Valley State Park Things to Do
- Commented on one of gambadilegno's Monument Valley State Park travel pages
Photos in Monument Valley State ParkSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Costa Rica Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monument Valley State Park Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort William Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Sand Dunes National Monument Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Island of Mull Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Acton Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Scotland Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Concord Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Monteverde Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos