"9 Days in Costa Rica" Costa Rica by frank_delargy
Costa Rica Travel Guide: 5,604 reviews and 12,061 photos
The trip started with a 6AM flight from Boston to Miami to San Jose, Costa Rica.
It was an OK flight and because we had left so early in the morning we were able to get to Costa Rica before noon. We proceeded to rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle from Avis as I had read everywhere that we would need it. As it turns out, you need the height (clearance) more than the traction. We headed up the Pan American highway toward our first base, Nuevo Arenal. After about an hour on the road, we decided to stop at a roadside 'soda' to get something to eat. They don't serve food on planes anymore! The sodas are usually just a family place where the family lives and they use the front for cooking and serving food. They always seem to have plastic lawn furniture. We saw a lot of plastic lawn furniture in Costa Rica.
More info at
At Canas we turned off the Pan America highway, which I guess runs the length of Central and South America, and headed inland toward Tilaran & Lake Arenal. When we got our first view of the lake we also saw Arenal volcano at the other end of the lake. The car was still pretty shiny at this point. That will change soon!
I had told the owners of the house we were renting, Britt and Gloria, that we would probably get there about 5 o'clock in the afternoon. We were making great time and were about 25 miles from the house, just before the picture to the right was taken, when we hit the first of 3 major mud slide backups that would ultimately add over 3 hours to our trip.
The next 9 days would include Arenal, Fortuna, Monteverde, SelvaVerde, San Jose, Quepos and Manuel Antonio NP .
For me Costa Rica was more about animals than anything else.
There was an abundance of creatures and birds to be seen everywhere. In the highlands around Arenal, we saw lots of Howler monkeys and Toucans, in Salve Verde, it was poison dart frogs and in Manuel Antonio, it was monkeys, iguanas, snakes and sloths. Leaf cutting ants were everywhere, lizards of every variety plentiful and the Macaws in flight were gorgeous. And then .. there were those crocodiles..
- Pros:wildlife, volcanoes, beaches, flying (zipping) through the jungle
- Cons:sometimes a bit touristy..
- In a nutshell:A tropical paradise that is still accessible and yet not too 'spoiled' by tourism .. yet.
You need to be constantly aware when driving in CR. I found this especially true on the better roads. Why, well you need... more travel advice
Oxen drawn carts are often seen on the road. Becareful driving. Some of the carts are very vividly painted with... more travel advice
- See All On the road from Nueva Arenal to Fortuna
- See All Wild? Animals
- See All Look for crabs near the rivers &...
frank_delargy's Related Pages
Costa Rica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pura Vida!"
- "Costa Rica"
- "Costa Rica, a land of simple life and beauty"
- "Paradise? Pura Vida? Oh Yeah"
- "From a birders point of view"
- "My Itinerary"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Costa Rica
- Hotels in Costa Rica
- Transportation in Costa Rica
- Nightlife in Costa Rica
- Restaurants in Costa Rica
- Shopping in Costa Rica
- Warnings and Dangers in Costa Rica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Costa Rica
- 38 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Costa Rica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Costa Rica
- Posted in Travel State of Sabah Forum "Re: Need help with suggestions..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Look for crabs near the rivers & beaches."
- updated a Costa Rica Travelogue "Flora & some fauna"
- Wrote a Review Traffic in Costa Rica Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on one of Suzie3's Costa Rica travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Costa Rica Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monument Valley State Park Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort William Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Sand Dunes National Monument Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Island of Mull Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Acton Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Scotland Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Concord Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Monteverde Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (4)
Top Costa Rica hotels
- San José Hotels
- 525 Reviews - 875 Photos
- Jacó Hotels
- 149 Reviews - 236 Photos
- Tamarindo Hotels
- 146 Reviews - 221 Photos
- Quepos Hotels
- 164 Reviews - 328 Photos
- Liberia Hotels
- 45 Reviews - 89 Photos
- Monteverde Hotels
- 180 Reviews - 402 Photos
- Puerto Viejo Hotels
- 157 Reviews - 262 Photos
- Fortuna Hotels
- 197 Reviews - 501 Photos
- Tortuguero Hotels
- 110 Reviews - 325 Photos
- Puntarenas Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 78 Photos
- Cartago Hotels
- 31 Reviews - 91 Photos
- Mal País Hotels
- 61 Reviews - 82 Photos
- Alajuela Hotels
- 59 Reviews - 166 Photos
- Uvita Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 18 Photos
- Pavas Hotels
- See nearby hotels