"Iceland - A long Stopover" Iceland by frank_delargy

Iceland Travel Guide: 5,786 reviews and 17,475 photos

A long stopover

We planned to fly from Boston to Scotland on IcelandAir and it costs nothing to stop off for a day or 2, so . what the heck.. Why not.. Actually having been in the Keflavik Airport near Reykjavik about a dozen times previously, each time saying.. "next time I will get out and explore" .. it was a relief to take the time to 'explore' Iceland before we went on to Scotland.
However, when you start a trip in the middle of summer at about 2 AM and it is like 'daylight', you kinda end up doing a lot of driving spaced out! It's a blessing that traffic in Iceland is .. well.. non-existent outside of Reykjavik and even then, it is like driving through a city at 4 AM. Heck.. for all I know .. maybe we were!

Aurora Borealis

As we were in Iceland in August it never got dark, so guess what, we never saw any 'Northern Lights' Maybe someone can tell me if it is worth it to go to Iceland in the winter.
Well, We decided to try it. We are going to do a 1 day stop-over in February. If it's clear and we are very very lucky, we may get to see the northern lights.

Waterfalls

Check out my Gullfoss page for more info on some waterfalls in Iceland.
I will have to admit that waterfalls have been a passion of mine through the years. Big ones, little ones.. Iceland has lots of fantastic big ones.

More at http://delargy.com .

• Pros:easy to get to, if you fly IcelandAir from US to Europe
  • Cons:Honestly cannot think of any
  • In a nutshell:Worth a trip to see the waterfalls, lava flows and geysers
  • Last visit to Iceland: Aug 2001
  • Intro Updated Sep 10, 2005

• agapotravel's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2007 at 10:32 AM

Hi Fank! I enjoyed your pictures and tips on Iceland. It brought back wonderful memories. We went in July and were amazed at the beauty there. If you get a chance, check out my pages. :-)

• cazz38's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2005 at 1:53 PM

Swimming in Iceland must have been fantastic!

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2005 at 6:58 AM

Can't wait to get to Iceland in a few months time!!

• dassi's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2005 at 6:30 PM

Goo one there Frank. I hope you get to stop over in Feb. and get to see the northern lights.If you do let me know and we could meet for a beer

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2004 at 12:03 PM

I sure wish IcelandAir flew to Seattle! I'm very curious about experiencing the long summer days when I finally make it here (hopefully in 2006)!

• pigletsmom's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2004 at 10:51 PM

More gorgeous photos. Like your frame treatment on your top photo.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2004 at 9:36 PM

There is so much to visit in Iceland !

• Braveheart.southafrr's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2004 at 1:53 PM

what is there to see or do in iceland frank how long is your stay over ? ken

frank_delargy

“The most important things in life are not 'things'”

Badges & Stats in Iceland

Have you been to Iceland?