"More than just a steep road" Porlock by northeast80

Porlock Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 97 photos

The more I read up about Porlock, for writing up this page, the more I wish we spent a bit longer here.
We were passing by when driving from Bristol to Croyde, now this is an amazing drive, don't get me wrong but it took over 4 hours! The little villages we passed through were very quaint with the thatched cottages. But driving through the beautiful moors (reminded me very much of my stomping ground; Yorkshire and its moors) was the highlight and the hill just as you're getting out of Porlock; my word, the road was vertical in front of us!

Back to the village; we only stopped off for a break, went in the small supermarket and the coffee roasters (see tips) and to stretch our legs.
After reading up I've discovered that there are near-by stone-age remains, a weir where at low tide you can see the fosilised remains of a forest, a Bay which has won cleanliness awards and the proximity to the Exmoor national park is a draw.
The village calendar is jam packed with events; food fairs, carnival, arts festival and talks on the local area.
If you want to avoid the massive hill to get away there is a toll road (see tip).
I'd definitely like to go back to discover more.

• Last visit to Porlock: Aug 2010
  • Intro Written Aug 21, 2010

Comments

northeast80

“Everyone dies, not everyone lives”

Badges & Stats in Porlock

Have you been to Porlock?

Latest Activity in Porlock