"More than just a steep road" Porlock by northeast80
Porlock Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 97 photos
The more I read up about Porlock, for writing up this page, the more I wish we spent a bit longer here.
We were passing by when driving from Bristol to Croyde, now this is an amazing drive, don't get me wrong but it took over 4 hours! The little villages we passed through were very quaint with the thatched cottages. But driving through the beautiful moors (reminded me very much of my stomping ground; Yorkshire and its moors) was the highlight and the hill just as you're getting out of Porlock; my word, the road was vertical in front of us!
Back to the village; we only stopped off for a break, went in the small supermarket and the coffee roasters (see tips) and to stretch our legs.
After reading up I've discovered that there are near-by stone-age remains, a weir where at low tide you can see the fosilised remains of a forest, a Bay which has won cleanliness awards and the proximity to the Exmoor national park is a draw.
The village calendar is jam packed with events; food fairs, carnival, arts festival and talks on the local area.
If you want to avoid the massive hill to get away there is a toll road (see tip).
I'd definitely like to go back to discover more.
This is a tip for the factory shop, where they roast and grind the coffee. I was surprised to see, let alone smell,... more travel advice
northeast80's Related Pages
Porlock Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Porlock."
- "The Misplaced Village"
- "Welcome to Porlock"
- "More than just a steep road"
- "JUST NORTH OF PORLOCK IS PORLOCK WEIR"
- "Picturesque Exmoor Village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Porlock
- Transportation in Porlock
- Restaurants in Porlock
- Shopping in Porlock
- Warnings and Dangers in Porlock
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Porlock
- 2 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Porlock?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Porlock
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 37 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bristol Intro, 25 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- York Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Grasmere Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos
- Australia Intro, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Beaune Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Leeds Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos