"Stripy Roofs" Beaune by northeast80
Beaune Travel Guide: 122 reviews and 366 photos
Sat 12th May.
We were up nice and early to catch the market, we stopped for breakfast in a cafe but could only get a cafe au lait as their croissants weren't cooked yet.
We found some lovely brioche in the covered part of the market to stave off the hunger!
I bought some, which I now know to be lovely, miel de tournesol from the indoor part too, for about €2.50 a jar.
My friend and I went to look round the Hospices de Beaune Hotel-Dieu, €6 each, and it was quite amazing.
For those of you who don't know, as indeed I did not, the region is famous for its coloured tiled roofs, you walk into the large courtyard and are hit by the most colourful roofs I've ever seen.
We spent about 1.5 hrs looking around here and then looked at more of the market.
And the amount of fresh produce, well I was impressed, you just don't get such specialised stalls in the UK.
We also looked round another church in the town; Colligiale Notre-Dame, and bought some cheap flowers from the market before going home for a late lunch.
Please see my tips on the Hospices de Beaune Hotel-Dieu, the Market and the Colligiale Notre-Dame.
An example of Burgundian Romanesque architecture from the 12th Century, also housing some fine 15th Century Flemish... more travel advice
Founded in 1443 as a hospice for the poor of Beaune following the Hundred Years War, now converted, and preserved as a... more travel advice
northeast80's Related Pages
Beaune Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "We belonged to the Duchy of Burgundy."
- "Beaune, Great Wine, Food, Art & History!"
- "Beautiful Beaune"
- "Beaune, le paradis du bien boire et bien manger."
- "A Wine Center with an Art Treausre"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beaune
- Hotels in Beaune
- Transportation in Beaune
- Restaurants in Beaune
- Shopping in Beaune
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beaune
- 4 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Beaune?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beaune
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 37 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bristol Intro, 25 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- York Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Grasmere Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos
- Australia Intro, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Beaune Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Leeds Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos
Latest Beaune hotel reviews