"Stripy Roofs" Beaune by northeast80

Beaune Travel Guide: 145 reviews and 439 photos

Sat 12th May.
We were up nice and early to catch the market, we stopped for breakfast in a cafe but could only get a cafe au lait as their croissants weren't cooked yet.
We found some lovely brioche in the covered part of the market to stave off the hunger!
I bought some, which I now know to be lovely, miel de tournesol from the indoor part too, for about €2.50 a jar.
My friend and I went to look round the Hospices de Beaune Hotel-Dieu, €6 each, and it was quite amazing.
For those of you who don't know, as indeed I did not, the region is famous for its coloured tiled roofs, you walk into the large courtyard and are hit by the most colourful roofs I've ever seen.
We spent about 1.5 hrs looking around here and then looked at more of the market.
And the amount of fresh produce, well I was impressed, you just don't get such specialised stalls in the UK.
We also looked round another church in the town; Colligiale Notre-Dame, and bought some cheap flowers from the market before going home for a late lunch.
Please see my tips on the Hospices de Beaune Hotel-Dieu, the Market and the Colligiale Notre-Dame.

• Last visit to Beaune: May 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 11, 2007

• Redang's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Beautiful place!

• zadunajska8's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Looks like a lovely place. I just love French markets!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2011 at 7:14 AM

Nice tips on this beautiful town! I went through Beaune once on a bicycle trip (quite a while ago), but don't remember much about it.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2011 at 11:54 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EMMA!

• himalia11's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2008 at 11:42 AM

The roof of the hospice really looks great, we also saw similar roofs during our trip through Bourgogne & Franche-Comté. But we unfortunately didn't make it to Beaune.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2007 at 7:27 AM

Some excellent tips here. I love markets, like you!!

northeast80

“Everyone dies, not everyone lives”

Badges & Stats in Beaune