"Mangroves & Camels" Great Keppel Island by northeast80
Great Keppel Island Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 80 photos
We booked our boat through our hostel in Emu Park (AU$35 return), the crossing took about half an hour and the boat comes right up onto the beach, a hatch opens and you walk off onto the beach.
There were quite a few 4WD's waiting to pick people up to their accommodation, ours wasn't but it was only a short walk to the YHA.
We hired snorkles from our hostel and walked to Monkey Beach (past all the fancy hotels), check the tide times though, we got there at low tide so could only snorkle around the reef, but it was still good so see all the fish.
We stayed here for only two nights but went to watch the sun go down on the beach every night, great sunsets.
The next day we went for a walk to an art gallery on Svendsen's Beach, just a hut with the lady there selling and painting away, we had a good chat to her. It's called Lyndie's Art Studio by the way.
We then walked round to Butterfish bay where there were lots of butterflies, we saw a few goats there too.
This was a lovely little island, a bit quieter than Magnetic Island, though it does have a few cafes and bars.
You could also hire jet skis, do a kayak tour, dive and hire fishing rods.
There are lots of bush walks you can do, we picked up a map at our hostel.
From Great Keppel Island you can also visit several of the other 18 surrounding islands. Islands include Halfway Island and it's fabulous fringing coral, Humpy Island and Middle Island which hosts an underwater observatory looking out onto a fishing wreck. There will be companies offering tours on the main island.
northeast80's Related Pages
Great Keppel Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Capricorn Coast - Part 1"
- " Great Keppel Island - December 2005 "
- "affordable island paradise"
- "Great keppel Island"
- "Mangroves & Camels"
- "Beautiful Great Keppel Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Great Keppel Island
- Hotels in Great Keppel Island
- Transportation in Great Keppel Island
- Nightlife in Great Keppel Island
- Restaurants in Great Keppel Island
- Shopping in Great Keppel Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Great Keppel Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Great Keppel Island
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Great Keppel Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Great Keppel Island
Photos in Great Keppel IslandSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Hull Intro, 37 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bristol Intro, 25 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- York Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Grasmere Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos
- Australia Intro, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Beaune Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Leeds Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos