" A PEACEFUL SIDE TO BALI " Top 5 Page for this destination Sanur by nezz

Sanur Travel Guide: 125 reviews and 276 photos

SANUR IS A BALI FAVOURITE

We have always stayed in this part of Bali. We love the peaceful feeling that we get when we stay this side of Bali. We first visited here in 1987 , came again in 1989, 2001,2002,2003 and twice in 2007 wow that's 20 years later....but as always Sanur still has a slower pace than the rest of the tourist areas of Bali. In 2010 we once again visited Sanur this time for two whole weeks . We kept calling it our last full family holiday. My son was 17 just and had just finished year 12 in high school and once he was working and earning his own money he wouldn't want to go on holidays with his parents I'm sure. We had a very relaxing holiday and realised that Sanur will always be the place for us after we spent the last 5 days staying in Legian .It's a great place to visit to shop but I don't think I'll be staying that busy side of the island again.
In Dec 2011 I went to Bali for the first time without my family. It was a girl's only shopping and relaxing trip. I went with two women I worked with. One a seasoned Bali traveller but usually stayed Kuta side of the island. The other a well traveled friend who wanted me to show her Bali for the first time. We had a ball and crammed our cases full of gifts and shopping.
I will return in Aug 2012 my tenth trip for my 50th birthday. This time I will have my sister with me her first trip to Indonesia and Bali although she has been all over the world many times since she was 18.
Looking forward to relaxing ,eating and we have upgraded the return luggage to 30kgs each !!

A lot of people describe Sanur as still having that village feel, but with all the things a tourist needs. Wonderful shops including a great supermarket at Hardy's , endless restaurants a large number of which are set on the fantastic Sanur Beach front. You are able to walk out from your hotel or Villa and grab a driver off the street but they are not in your face all the time like other areas of Bali. The other thing about Sanur is no annoying timeshares guys on motorbikes. My favourite thing to do is to get up early and walk along the beachfront path , watching all the expats doing their early morning excerise before the heat of the day sets in, watch the sun rise & greet all the locals with "Selamat pagi" on their way to work. Ah wish I was there right now!!!!!...

A BEACH AND ENJOY THE VIEW

One of the things I love to do is to sit & enjoy a meal with a fantastic view. It is the one thing that holidays seem to offer. The beachfront of Sanur extends for Kilometres and all along they have installed a wonderful pathway to link all the restaurant areas together. From Jl Hang Tua in the North to Jl Tirta Empul in the south there would be a hundred restaturants, cafes & bars along the beach but I am only guessing. One day I may count them all.!!!!!...

FRIENDS YOU MAKE.

The best part of a holiday is to find new friends. Tourists from other countries, locals who drive you or serve you in restaurants, shops or beauty parlours. This time we took the time to talk to everyone. The Balinese love to talk and ask you about where you are from. This is an old lady who ran one of the small shops selling drinks & snacks. Her prices were the Best in Sanur & her fridges were really cold. She loved our daughter and wanted her to meet her grandson so typically Balinese....

• Pros:A much quieter side of the Bali island
  • Cons:You may have to catch a few more taxi rides on this side of the island
  • In a nutshell:Bali at a much slower pace.
  • Last visit to Sanur: Feb 2014
  • Intro Updated Mar 2, 2014

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Hi matey :o) What a gorgeous opening pic! And your travelogue photos are stunning!! Miss you guys. Hugs xx

• aussirose's Profile Photo
      Feb 17, 2014 at 2:09 AM

No mate... no meets. We go to KL again end of March and also to India for the first time. Looking forward to that :o) xx

• nezz's Profile Photo
      Feb 17, 2014 at 6:02 AM

Happy travels

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Nice tips

• nezz's Profile Photo
      Feb 3, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Thanks Jim off again in a few days so some more restaurant tips on the way soon

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2009 at 1:59 PM

This is a real interesting place to visit virtually. I doubt if we get out that way any time soon, but do have a friend in Sydney would like to see.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Casa Luna sounds divine! Excellent restaurant tips. What a great trip with three generations. Love the positive attitude and great enthusiasm. Darling photographs.

• Neilzonwheelz's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2008 at 6:51 AM

Hi Sandra, what stunning pics, I really do like your fav pic too, really leaps off the screen. I've taken your advice & will be visiting Bali in June. Will go through your tips, thanx

• Feb 2, 2008 at 4:21 PM

We discovered Casa Luna at Sanur on a trip to bali shortly after the first bombing. It was sad to see such a good place deserted. The food & staff were fantastic. last year numbers were back to normal but the service and quality was still great.

• aussiejen's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2008 at 5:09 PM

I've been to most of those restaurants. Love them all :)

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2007 at 4:00 PM

Very enjoyable page, Sandra. You have some excellent restaurant tips as well. A great bite to eat is always a favorite part of my travels.

nezz Visits Here Frequently!

nezz

“Life is too short to stay home and worry about how safe it is to travel”

Badges & Stats in Sanur