Okinawa City Warnings Or Dangers Tips by olddude
Okinawa City Warnings and Dangers: 1 reviews and 1 photos
Typhoon Songda over Okinawa
The weather on Okinawa is subtropical and just gorgeous most of the time. There is a rainy season that lasts about 2 or 3 weeks and it doesn't get cold.
However, Okinawa has it's share of typhoons. These can be really powerful storms and can/do kill people here each year. Do not get the idea that there is death and destruction like in the states from hurricanes though.
Most of the people who die here in a typhoon, die doing something stupid like trying to surf of the 40 to 50 foot waves that can occur or get washed into the sea trying to take pictures of the surf as it comes in.
Due to the type of building construction on the island, the storms generally do not cause that much structural damage, even though we have experience 150+ knot winds. We can sometimes have problems with the amount rain from a typhoon, but it too is usually minor.
In fact, due to the number of storms per year, the islanders pretty much treat them as Americans treat thunderstorms. You can go out when the wind is whipping up to about 70 knots and McDonald's will still be open. Don't be fooled by the seemingly nonchalauntness though. Inwardly, they take the storms very seriously and are always prepared for water shortages and power outages.
The weather services (Japanese and American) are very good at predicting the path and intensity of storms approaching the island. As a traveler, you should be aware that the season runs from May through November. Check the Joint Typhoon Warning Center's link on storms in the Pacific before traveling during these months:
During typhoon Songda recently, travelers neglected to do this and were stranded inside the Naha airport for 2 days. Since the airport sits right on the water, it was too dangerous for them to leave the airport and attempt to find a hotel.
Other Contact: http://www.tenki.jp/typ/index.ht
More Reviews (13)
- See All Want a Good Steak?
- See All Even more Inexpensive Lodging
- Garage Sale Japanese style
olddude's Related Pages
Okinawa City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Secondary Party Central to Okinawa"
- "Living in Okinawa City"
- "Okinawa city - but not the down town of Okinawa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Okinawa City
- Hotels in Okinawa City
- Transportation in Okinawa City
- Nightlife in Okinawa City
- Restaurants in Okinawa City
- Shopping in Okinawa City
- Warnings and Dangers in Okinawa City
- See All...
Explore the World
- Woodlands New Town
- Kells Hotels
- Isla de Fuerteventura
- Tarragona Hotels
- Northridge Hotels
- Erindale Hotels
- Reunion Warnings and Dangers
- Stony beaches
- Fushun Warnings and Dangers
- Grand Bahama Island Warnings and Dangers
- Airport and Luggage
- Austin Warnings and Dangers
- Waikiki Warnings and Dangers
- Bitez Warnings and Dangers
- Nuweiba` Warnings and Dangers
- Equatorial Guinea Warnings and Dangers
- Texas Warnings and Dangers
- Lloret de Mar Warnings and Dangers
Badges & Stats in Okinawa City
- 14 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Okinawa City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Okinawa City
Photos in Okinawa CitySee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Seoul Intro, 17 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Okinawa Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Okinawa City Intro, 14 reviews, 7 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 9 reviews, 5 photos
- Herndon Intro, 11 reviews, 3 photos
- South Korea Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Maryland Intro, 2 reviews, 1 photo
- Guam 1 review, 2 photos
- Washington D.C. 2 reviews
- Georgia 1 review