"Life Begins at Retirement" Herndon by olddude

Herndon Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 152 photos

Welcome to Herndon

As I said on my Okinawa page, I have finally retired and I have made Herndon Virginia my new home. It is a lovely small community that is really a part of of the larger Washington DC metro area. Population is about 25,000 and is located about 10 minutes from the Washington-Dulles International Airport (makes travel very convienant for me:)).
My first impression is that it reminds me somewhat of Monterey California with it's styles of architecture and plethora of resturaunts. It is also located in one of the wealthiest counties in America; again, like Monterey. This means that there is a lot of activities available for the locals and the tourists. Plus the surrounding communities of Reston, Fairfax, and Ashburn (to name a few) have their fair share of entertainment as well. Stay tuned as I explore this place and get settled into my new home.

• Pros:None-snobbbish upper middle class community that is clean and well kept
  • Cons:high cost of living
  • In a nutshell:There is something for everyone
  • Intro Written Sep 11, 2006

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Al. Skyline Drive in autumn is just fantastically beautiful. Glad you mentioned the antique shops around frederick,,some good ones also in New Market Maryland. greetings from just down the road!

• etfromnc's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2012 at 8:09 AM

I hope that you have the happiest of birthdays tomorrow and that you are enjoying your terminal leave. How is the job hunt going?

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2009 at 1:13 AM

Glad all is well. We loved your area when we visited a niece in Burke -would love to go again - will keep your local Tips in hope. I now know why she told us to take the Commuter train in to Washington! Hope it is still running.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2009 at 11:40 AM

$88 dollars does sound like a good deal. Gotta remember that....

• Fullmoonfever's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2008 at 9:23 AM

Hi Al, I know your area well. Wife's famaily is from northern Virginia and she lived all around the DC area. We were going to visit Shenandoah Valley this summer, but the plan fell thru.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2008 at 10:41 AM

My brother and his wife live in Alexandria. Thanks for the Asian food tips! Have you ever been to the Peking Gourmet Inn in Falls Church? That is my favorite restaurant in Northern Virginia! Best from New Jersey, Bill

• Apr 12, 2008 at 9:00 PM

Did my own Leesburg trip today. It was cool. Good tip thanks.

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Driving on the beltway period is a danger. I used to live in Arlington.

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Al, Herndon was just a place to pick up & drop off my rental car on USN business trips. Living there as you now do gives a much better feel for the place. We had a lot of deer roadkill in Minnesota, too, when I lived there, even a State law about it. Doug

• zanzooni's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2007 at 12:58 AM

Hello...from a fellow Virginian...~

olddude Used To Live Here!

olddude

“If you stop learning, you should stop living”

Badges & Stats in Herndon

Have you been to Herndon?