"Around the World in 21 Years and Counting" olddude's Profile

Okinawa: Japan's Puerto Rico

Hi everyone! I was surfing the net one day and found this group and I think it is great. I think I have much to add so let me tell you a little about myself.

Thanks to the US government, in the past 21 years I have had the opportunity to travel all over N. America (I am originally from Alabama), half of Europe, part of the Middle East, and some of Asia. I figured it up the other day and I have traveled enough miles to have circled the globe 12 times! I have the travel vouchers to prove it.

I am trained as a linguist with emphasis on Asian languages. My expertise is Korean and Korean culture, but I also have a working knowledge of Japanese and can read Chinese a little. I can also, with help, get by in Tagalog.

That said, I think I have been just about anywhere and stayed in any type of accommodation or flown on all types of carriers (I hate Charles De Gaulle airport in Paris) that anyone on this group may come in contact with. I have also driven either my personal car or a rental in most of the places I mentioned. I even drove a tour bus part time in Korea.

Most recently, lived on Okinawa in Okinawa City and loved every minute of living there. I also made occasional trips to Tokyo and Seoul on business. Alas, I retired to the US in mid-2006. I am going to miss all the travel, so I thought I could live vicariously through the travels of people on this group and at the same time offer travel advice to those who may be going where I have been.

On my travel pages are listed the places I have spent a few weeks in (Korea was an 8 year stay) so I think I am qualified to give some really good advice. Unfortunately, there will be no pictures of some of the places as I build my pages as it has been years since I have been there, but I have really good memories. I have really been there done that.

Retired!!

Hey guys! I finally did it. My retirement ceremony from the Air Force was on the 16th of June and my final day on active duty was 31 July. I am free at last (to look for another job....hahahaha!). Seriously, I am going to miss all the wonderful and interesting people that I have worked with over the past 22 years. They have taught me many things and I have shared many things with many peoples all over the world. I hope in the future that I am able to continue to travel and absorb all this world has to offer. Initially it looks like I will be settling in the D.C. area (I have lived there before) so if anyone has any good tips for cheap housing (no crack houses please) and a good auto mechanic, let me know.

The Beaches of Okinawa

So who doesn't come to Okinawa and not think of going to the beach? This is the primary reason that most people come and Okinawa has some really good beaches. Okinawa has about 60 good beaches to choose from. They range from really nice and sandy with shallow water good for sunbathing to shaded ones that are good for camping to rocky coral covered ones that are good for rock climbing and diving and snorkeling. Some of the best beaches actually belong to some of the resorts here, but they are still usable for a fee. The free beaches are nice too; albeit maybe a little small and crowded, but nice beaches just the same.

Beach Camping

I have seen many posts asking about camping on Okinawa. Well here is a list of beaches where camping on the main island of Okinawa is permitted:
Nashiro Beach--southernmost beach on the East China Sea
Seragaki Beach -- small beach just north of Onna Point off hwy 58
Mission Beach-- private beach a little farther north of Seragaki
Inbu Beach--one of the nicest beaches for camping and they allow pets, but you do need to make reservations. It is located near Onna Village
Sesoko Island--this a Robinson Crusoe type island that you drive to from Motobu off the west coast of Okinawa. It has excellent white sand
Bise Beach--very quiet seclude beach great for camping, located north of Motobu
Yagaji Island Beach--smooth sandy beach with shaded camping northen end of the island
Most of these beaches require a fee for camping, but they have decent facilities and are all excellent places to watch the sunset

• Intro Updated Jun 13, 2008

Personal Pages (1)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
olddude's Profile Photo

olddude

“If you stop learning, you should stop living”

Real Name