"Where on Earth is Serangoon?" Serangoon by Rachelynn
Serangoon Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 114 photos
Serangoon is located on the north east area of Singapore. The famous 'Little Indian" is right in Serangoon.
Old "Kampong" houses, villages, rubber plantations and other agricultural activities made up Serangoon in the 1960s.
Back then, a lot of Chinese lived in Serangoon and there were only a handful Malays and Hindus. These fore-fathers of Singapore were usually self-sufficient, they got on with life by growing their own crops, fruit trees and animals were domesticated. Durian (Yum!), coconut and other fruit trees were grown and sold by them.
Life was very simple then. No busy roads, no fairylights during Deepavali and no major shopping at 3am in the morning. What a stark contrast to the modern Serangoon of today.
Serangoon is a fairly large area i would say. Little India is at this part of Serangoon where a lot of Indian workers called "their little home" on weekends, and this part is usually visited by tourist. During Deepavali, the Festival of Lights (which happens usually around Nov/Dec), Little India is practically flooded with people, buying goodies for the new year and busy snapping pictures of Serangoon with the twinkling of the festive lights.
Another part is Upper Serangoon which carry different characteristics from the former - the new Serangoon MRT Station, a new Braddell Height Community Club, the famous 707 durian stall, the forever crowded Chomp Chomp Food Centre @ Serangoon garden, launch of several new & chic private condominiums and of course...my house is just 5 bus stops away from the Serangoon Station.
I love this part of Serangoon as it offers everything i could ask for, good food, good company and transport convenience. There are a lot of value-for-money food outlets around, my parents and close friends are staying at this area, and the north-east line will take me only 10 mins to Chinatown. What more could i ask for.....
Pls check out Serangoon by going through the travel tips.
Discover a more personalised and localised side of us.
- In a nutshell:Transport Convenience, Good Company & Good Food!
This is one of my favourite restaurant in Little India that sells great Murtaba! Yummy! So what is a Murtaba and why... more travel advice
It's still bursting with activities when you visit Little India after dinner. So hop on down at night if you want a... more travel advice
Rachelynn's Related Pages
Serangoon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where on Earth is Serangoon?"
- "A glimpse of India"
- "Serangoon - Vibrant Area in Singapore"
- "Joo Chiat and Kampong Melayu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Serangoon
- Hotels in Serangoon
- Transportation in Serangoon
- Nightlife in Serangoon
- Restaurants in Serangoon
- Shopping in Serangoon
- Warnings and Dangers in Serangoon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Serangoon
- 27 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Serangoon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Serangoon
Photos in SerangoonSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 31 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Serangoon Intro, 27 reviews, 27 photos
- Singapore Intro, 30 reviews, 10 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 12 photos
- Luxor Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos
- Cairo Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos
- Sydney Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Aswan Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos
- Temple of Abu Simbel Intro, 1 review, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos