"Living in Suburbia" Summit by twood1

Summit Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 14 photos

Born in Caracas to a Brazilian mother and an American father, I still have trouble telling people that I'm from New Jersey. Despite having moved around a lot as a kid, Summit has become my family's final stop... for now. It's been 11 years living in a suburb of New York City, and I can't say that I haven't enjoyed it. It's your typical upper-middle class suburban town, with big houses proudly framed by carefully tailored gardens. Space is one thing that you don't miss out on in Summit.

The suburb is a great place to grow up in as a kid, but it gets old real fast when you're in your teens or later on, if you're single. Despite the town's efforts to make downtown more attractive, there still aren't many options for those looking to go out at night to have a good time. Typical social activities include dropping by the seasonal ice cream shop in the summer, catching a movie at the small local theater, and hanging out with friends at a small local bar. Not much else to do though.

As much as I've complained about Summit in the past, I still love going home to see my parents and revisit long time friends. Summit's serene and quiet streets are a good place to go to get away from the stressful hussle of city life, and for that I'll always look forward to going back (for now, though, visits only.)

• Pros:Green, quiet, homely.
  • Cons:Nothing to do, sometimes too quiet.
  • Intro Written Aug 25, 2004