"Stuart Sage - Committed to Travel" StuartSage's Profile
Born in Cromer, Norfolk in the UK - a small traditional family seaside resort.
If you've never been to this part of the world before, I can thoroughly recommend it - from the beautiful medieval city of Norwich to the classic parkland of Sheringham Park to the wild and beautiful beaches of the North Norfolk coast, this is England as it should be.
That said, I couldn't get away fast enough after leaving school. Headed down to London and University - was obviously blown away by the bright lights of the big city as I lived down there for another 10 years.
My Damascene conversion happened in that most unlikely of places - a bar in Dubai. It was there that I met the woman of my dreams - a fellow traveller (well she was an air hostess) and that was that. Now married for 10 years with 2 fantastic children - Oliver (4) and Grace (2) we now live in a small village on the edge of Liverpool called Hale Village - home of the famous Elizabethan character "The Childe of Hale" - allegedly a giant! It's a lovely village - it is rural so reminds me of my Norfolk childhood but close enough to the city for my dearly beloved to engage in her favourite occupation - shopping!
Thought that I might commit to the net my Top 10 of places visited...
1. Skardu, Pakistan - OK it might be a bit out of the loop as far as tourism is concerned, but the scenery alone is the winner here. Stayed in the Shangrila hotel - crashed Dakota and all...
2. Dubai - It's where I met my wife after all! You know that 6 star hotel - yes that one, well I stayed in the hotel that they knocked down to make room to build that new one!!! How's that for a claim to fame! In all seriousness though, a great place for fun in the sun - especially if visiting for the Dubai 7's!
3. Sutherland, Scotland - if you're after majestic beauty and fantastic remoteness - then this is the part of Scotland you should head for. Stayed in a house on the Point of Stoer - magnificent isolation is the best way to describe this area.
4. Florence - beautiful city even with the tourist masses. Don't just go to queue for the museums, just wander the streets, go shopping, live the cafe/restaurant life - in short, don't just be a tourist.
5. New York - never somewhere that I'd wanted to visit - went there with my wife for a joint birthday present and loved it. It's everything that you want from a city - great atmosphere, felt safe, open 24 hours and has some great shops, museums, sights, restaurants, bars, oh heck I loved the place - going back as soon as possible and as often as possible!
6. Hong Kong - simply took my breath away - sitting on the ferry at night watching the neon lights - amazing. Would love to go back.
7. Peshawar & the Khyber Pass - Yep, I've made it up the Khyber - fantastic experience, Peshawar really is one of the last "frontier" cities - feels and probably is a little bit dangerous if you don't watch your step. When I was sitting in an excellent restaurant, I was able to watch a large anti-American demonstration out of the front window - and to have my hand shaken by the protestors smiling and shouting "Death to the USA!" They came complete with an "Islamic Bomb" - would have been slightly worrying if it wasn't for their overwhelming sense of friendliness! I was more worried by the somewhat dangerous looking Pathan tribesmen eyeing me and my friends as we tucked into our food!
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 20 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 5 Countries
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- StuartSage and Etoile2B are now friends.
- Wrote a Review Excellent Hotel in Dubai Hotels
- Posted in Travel Dubai Forum "Re: Public Transportation/..."
- created a Dubai Travel Page "Favourite Place In The World"
updated their Profile Page "Stuart Sage - Committed to Travel"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Stuart Sage - Committed to Travel"
Top 5 Pages
- Majorca Island 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Liverpool Intro, 4 reviews
- New York City Intro, 3 reviews
- Dubai Intro, 3 reviews
- Florence 3 reviews