"Brasov - The county capital" Brasov by tpk2
Brasov Travel Guide: 650 reviews and 1,773 photos
Brasov is the capital of the Brasov county and also the biggest town in the area with its 285,000 inhabitants. It's located 160 km from Bucharest in southern part of Transylvania surrounded by the Carpathian Mountains.
The town is one of the most popular destinations in Romania.
Brasov was founded by Teutonic knights in 1211. Later the town was fortified to protect it from the Turks. On the 14th century, it became one of the leading economical strongholds in the South-eastern Europe and on the 16th century also a cultural center.
The saddest day in the history of Brasov is April, 21, 1689. A fire destroyed most of the town killing 3,000 people. The main church of the town, smoked in the fire, was renamed the "Black Church".
The city was badly destroyed in the Second World War. It's tough times continued (renamed Stalin between 1950 and 1960) trough the communist era, during which most of the German and Jewish population moved out.
- Pros:The old town center is nice
- In a nutshell:One of my best experiences in Romania
The Byzantine style Orthodox church was built in the end of the 19th century. The church stands close to the Old Town... more travel advice
The White and Black Tower were built as a part of the town defence system in 15th century. White Tower is the more... more travel advice
tpk2's Related Pages
Brasov Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Brasov - The heart of Transylvania"
- "Brasov / Kronstadt"
- "Buna ziua, Brasov!"
- "We can't stop here. This is bear country."
- "Braşov - Heart of Transylvania"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brasov
- Hotels in Brasov
- Transportation in Brasov
- Nightlife in Brasov
- Restaurants in Brasov
- Shopping in Brasov
- Warnings and Dangers in Brasov
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brasov
- 6 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Brasov?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brasov
Top 10 Pages
- Dubrovnik Intro, 33 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Split Intro, 31 reviews, 28 photos
- Hvar Intro, 19 reviews, 32 photos
- Pretoria Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Varna Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos
- Lobamba Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Bergen Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brasov Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lusaka Intro, 10 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dalmatia - Split Region Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos
No friends yet.