"Cooktown - A northern Australian wonderland" Cooktown by tpk2
Cooktown Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 64 photos
As you might guess, the place got its name according to the famous Captain James Cook, the leader of the first European boat to visit Australia. He was a legendary explorer of the South Seas (‘A Voyage to South Seas’ is a well known award-wining book about his achievements.).
Anyway, Cook was wondering around in the area when his boat ‘Endeavour’ was badly damaged at a coral reef. The event took place in front of what is now Cooktown. That is the spot where the reef is closest to the coast. The alterations of the high and low tide are so quick and intensive that Cook was caught by a surprise and his boat got stuck on the corals.
- Pros:Not too many tourists around
- Cons:The coastal road from Port Douglas to Cooktown is quite bad
- In a nutshell:Cooktown - Genuine Aussie small town experience
Skytrains offers quite affordable flights between Cairns and Cooktown. The 45 minute flight is truly worth it. The views... more travel advice
tpk2's Related Pages
Cooktown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Laid back Cooktown - well-worth visiting"
- "Cooktown and Surrounds"
- "The Bloomfield Trail"
- "Laid back"
- "Cooktown - A northern Australian wonderland"
- "Far North Queensland."
- "Cooktown - named after Capt Cook"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cooktown
- Hotels in Cooktown
- Transportation in Cooktown
- Restaurants in Cooktown
- Warnings and Dangers in Cooktown
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cooktown
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Cooktown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cooktown
Top 10 Pages
- Dubrovnik Intro, 33 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Split Intro, 31 reviews, 28 photos
- Hvar Intro, 19 reviews, 32 photos
- Pretoria Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Varna Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos
- Lobamba Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Bergen Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brasov Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lusaka Intro, 10 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dalmatia - Split Region Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos
No friends yet.