"The oldest medieval gem" Mestna Obcina Ptuj by ursa9
Mestna Obcina Ptuj Travel Guide: 122 reviews and 357 photos
Ptuj is one of the oldest cities in Slovenia. Its roots can be traced back to the Stone Age. From the very beginning, its fate was determined by its important geographical position, therefore this picturesque town boasts rich legacy of the past. The settlement often played a significant historical role in the fields of politics and administration, as well as in the fields of arts and culture.
In the Late Iron Age this area was settled by the Celts, and soon after the beginning of the last century BC it fell under the Roman rule.
Roman writers, starting with Tacitus, often mentioned Ptuj in connection with important events. These records started the historical period of Ptuj, which became around 103 AD a self-governing unit called COLONIA ULPIA TRAIANA POETOVIO.
It reached its greatest extent in the 2nd and 3rd centuries, was burnt down by the Huns and later on it was occupied by the Avars and Slavs.
The destruction of the Avar state caused the Drava Region, including Ptuj, to become part of the Frankish state.
Between 977 and 1555, the town was owned by the Salzburg archdiocese and later on by the sovereign prince.
Ptuj was a battleground during the Ottoman wars in Europe and suffered from several fires. The loss of the function of the main border fortress, the fires, as well as other hardships, ended up by turning Ptuj into an average provincial town.
After the collapse of Austria-Hungary resulting from World War I, Ptuj was included in the brief Republic of German Austria. It was then made part of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes (Yugoslavia) without plebiscite.
During WW II, Ptuj was occupied by Nazi Germany, and the city's Slovene population was dispossessed and deported.
Since 1945 Ptuj has been populated almost completely by Slovenians.
Nowadays Ptuj boasts the most important early medieval site in Slovenia, the findings of which cover the time span between the 8th and the 11th centuries.
It is a pleasant and colourful city with diverse and rich cultural life. It is situated in Lower Styria (northeastern Slovenia) and has about 20,000 inhabitants.
Many pedestrian-friendly public spaces, picturesque streets, rich historical legacy on every step, good food and wine are only one of the many reasons why visit this little gem.
"Kurentovanje" is basically the largest public carnival celebration in Slovenia. Moreover, it can be also considered as one of the most significant events celebrating cultural heritage in Europe.
Once a local rural tradition, the carnival is now a major affair that has been preserved into the 21st century as an ethnographic phenomenon and one of the most important carnival events in Europe. The symbol of the carnival and its central mask, the Kurent, has the role of scaring off winter with his sheepskin coat, a devilish grin and loud cowbells.
- Pros:nice, relaxing, picturesque...
- Cons:no cons
- In a nutshell:beautiful little town radiating its rich cultural legacy
ursa9's Related Pages
Mestna Obcina Ptuj Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A wonderful surprise"
- "Just Ptuj, actually.............."
- "Beautiful ol"
- "Ptuj the red roofs town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mestna Obcina Ptuj
- Hotels in Mestna Obcina Ptuj
- Transportation in Mestna Obcina Ptuj
- Nightlife in Mestna Obcina Ptuj
- Restaurants in Mestna Obcina Ptuj
- Shopping in Mestna Obcina Ptuj
- Warnings and Dangers in Mestna Obcina Ptuj
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mestna Obcina Ptuj
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Mestna Obcina Ptuj?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mestna Obcina Ptuj
Photos in Mestna Obcina PtujSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 26 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ljubljana Intro, 12 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Piran Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos
- Bled Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Slovenia Intro, 3 reviews, 19 photos, 4 travelogues
- Trogir Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brighton Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Bad Radkersburg Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oxford Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
Top Mestna Obcina Ptuj hotels
- Ptuj Hotels
- 68 Reviews - 166 Photos