"New Zealand Skiing" Whakapapa by Vaughanie

Whakapapa Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 31 photos

We had to go skiing whilst in NZ, esp as it the closest ski field was approx 3 and a half hour drive - Whakapapa (pronounced ***apapa) on Mt Rapehu, NZ´s tallest mountain. Phil and I have only skiied once and I can safely say this was prossibly the last time I´ll ever go.
We had a great time, dont get me wrong. The ski field was good and not too busy, the scenery lovely if a bit odd as you have to go really high to get to the snow, nothing like going skiing in the Alps when you are constantly surrounded by the cold white stuff. But we just cant ski, either of us. We had a lesson but in the hour, phil bowled into me knocking us both over and he nearly went off a cliff another time - the guide clearly didnt hold much hope for us.
It was great though, popping off to the slopes for a couple of days then heading back to the warmth of auckland once our egos had be suitably dented. NZ skiing will never be like european skiing but it´s quieter and there´s no obnoxious professional skiers to bug you! It was a giggle if nothing else and Phil has provided me with countless memories of falling over, losing skis down cliffs and generally just being a very very bad skier.

• Last visit to Whakapapa: Aug 2005
  • Intro Written Oct 10, 2005

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Whakapapa

Have you been to Whakapapa?

Latest Activity in Whakapapa