"Out of the mountains and into the hills" Sorata by Vaughanie

Sorata Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 62 photos

We decided to use Bolivia as a thoroughfare into Argentina but while we were back, we decided to visit some areas that we hadn`t had the chance to see the first time around. Sorata was one of them.
A short 4 hours from La Paz, Sorata is known as the `trekking capital of Bolivia`and is found in the lovely lowlands of the green Yungas. Happily, we bumped into some friends from the Inca trail, Aussies Nicole and Simon in La Paz who just happened to be heading to Sorata the next day, like us, so we had some company.
The bus journey was bad, even for Bolivian standards. The road was fine for the first two hours then disappeared into a dirt track for the last two. It had been very wet and the road was horrific, the small crappy bus sliding all over the place with lovely sheer drops out of the window to look at. Ho hum, another day on the roads of Bolivia.
We arrived safely in one piece and all thanked the gods above and headed straight to the nearest cafe to enjoy steak sandwiches and the best guacomole I think I have ever tried AND the pleasure of english papers to read, heaven!
Our home for the next few days proved to be the best bit about the visit to Sorata. The Altai Oasis is the friendliest place I think I have ever stayed and set in the most beautiful surroundings. Gorgeous gardens, geese wandering free, a gurggling river nearby, cold beers and T-bones steaks the size of your thigh. Absolutely wonderful.
So all that was left to do was sit back and relax, oh and wait for snowcapped Mount Llampu to appear from beyond the clouds, which it did bit by bit over the following days.
What with the place being a trekking meca, we decided we should hit the hills. The 4 of us decided on the easiest route to a nearby cave. We set off late after a lovely lie in and scrumptious breakkie and the heat of the day killed us. We made it, eventually. The boys stripped to get into the cave lake while us girls relaxed - far too cold for me. It was soon agreed that we were all far too tired to walk back and after joking with the builders outside the cave about taxis (we really were in the middle of NOWHERE), they whipped out a mobile and ordered a taxi for us which proved to be the saviour of the day. It meant we were able to get back to the hammocks for a siesta and a cold beer. Much better than walking in the heat dont you think?
So after 3 wonderful days in sunshine and peace and quiet it was time to return to hectic La Paz (for the 4th time, groan), a damn shame as I think I could have possibly stayed forever.

• Last visit to Sorata: Nov 2005
  • Intro Written Dec 11, 2005

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.