"The White Capital City" Sucre by Vaughanie

Sucre Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 1 photos

Sucre is actually Bolivia´s capital, well its constitutional capital but not a lot else. It´s a lovely place though one of its main attractions being the fact it´s out of high altitude at only 2900mts and so the climate is good.
We went to Sucre to join spanish school but I got sick, as I knew I would in Bolivia - hygiene is not one of the country´s specialities so instead I watched a lot of cable tv between visits to the loo.
We did manage a few things in our time there though. The main thing being our visit to the world´s largest collection of dinosaur prints. Quite an exciting prospect having never see prints of the big guys in the flesh. At first on arrival, with a sore tummy and not coping very well with the heat, I wasn´t impressed. They take you to this quarry and you´re standing there thinking what the hell I am doing here? But then they take you over to this huge clay wall, which was once flat but lifted by tectonics and slowly the guide starts pointing out the prints (they´re not obvious at all) and it all falls into place. Big, gigantic prints and tons of them! Marching along side by side - you even get to recognise the prints of different species (they have cool little toys to remind you what they look like) And you are amazed - amazed that you are looking at the prints of actual dinosaurs!!! Fascinating stuff I can tell you. Once you get close to them and see just how big they are by placing your hand up against them you´re blown away. The big guys were REAL big.
This is not Sucre´s only attraction though. They have some great museums some of the best I saw in Bolivia. The textile museum is a fascinating look into the world of loal textile weaving (sounds boring but trust me its good!) and La Casa de Liberdad is an informative and interesting look into Bolivia´s history. South America has generally been very god at telling their tales about how the Spanish messed them around and rightly so. The world sure has a troubled past.
Tarabuco market near sucre is a great spot to shop for textiles and pressies and made a good day out until we realised there is nothing sold at the market that you cant buy in sucre so it may have been a bit of a waste of time to be honest. Good on them for screwing the gringoes though, thats what we´re here for I guess.
Sucres last charm was how well it services gringoes with lots of yummy food- not that there´s owt wrong with bol´s food (apart from the fact it gives you food poisoning!) so we stuffed out bellies and moved on happy people.

• Last visit to Sucre: Sep 2005
  • Intro Written Oct 29, 2005

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.