"Welsh Lovelies" Trevelín by Vaughanie

Trevelín Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 42 photos

I was both delighted and surprised to learn that there is a whole welsh region to be found in Argentina. It turns out the Welsh, came over in their droves after years of bother from that horrible English lot. The Welsh needed to set up a new land where they could speak their language and practise their religion in peace without their nosey neighbours bothering them. And so they came to Southern Argy, the northern part of Patagonia. At the time there was noone there, a few local indians who helped them in the early days but they were also encouraged by the Argentine government who wanted to populate the, otherwise baron, land. It was tough in the early days as there was next to no water and a substancial irrigation system had to be set up. Anyone who has been there will tell you how bleak Patagonia can be and so I am sure it was tough in the early days. Home from home for them I am sure (i`m half welsh so I can be cheeky)
There are still, five generations on, welsh speakers in a few areas and there is evidence of little wales in the form of old chapels, cottages and, most importantly, welsh tea houses. Trevelin is one of them and the area furthest west. I couldnt wait to go. The allure of welsh teas was too much for me. I also felt it my duty, my father being from Camarthen and all.
We arrived in a tiny village, which was as quiet and empty as anywhere I`d seen. Despite the welshness of the place, the south american siesta still rules here. Not to worry though, the only place that was open that needed to be open was the village`s finest tea house - Nain Maggie - god bless her. We headed straight there.
At first we were a little disappointed when the home made bread and scones, jam and butter arrived along with the huge pot of tea. It just didnt quite seem enough. But then, the cakes arrived. All 10 slices for 2 of us!!!! My heart skipped a beat when it saw them - if I ate all these at once surely a coronary would hit? Ne`re mind - dig in girl, I thought. It had been a long time since I had a feast anything remotely like this!
Words cannot descibe how divine it all was. Heavenly home made cakes and scones, not to mention the best jam I think I have ever had. The best cake was basically cream inside a pastry case - thick thick cream - almost solid - sitting inside PASTRY!!! Obscence but a delight to savour. I will treasure these memories for life.

All I did the rest of the time I was in Trevelin was dream about my next welsh tea. I couldnt stop thinking about how good it had been. While I was doing this, I relaxed in the lovely log cabin accommodation we had settled in and enjoyed the company of Sven, our new Belgium friend. We talked, read, watched the blue skies above the snow capped peaks from the comfort of the lounge. Played with Tango the puppy and ate and drank. All very idylic and a perfect couple of days. We had to leave though, I was allowed more welsh tea until Trelew.

• Last visit to Trevelín: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 26, 2006

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Trevelín

Have you been to Trevelín?

Latest Activity in Trevelín