"On the Far Side of the Kimchee Curtain... Kaesong" Top 5 Page for this destination Kaesong by schwein
Kaesong Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 262 photos
Kaesong is a city with some history behind it.
The original capital of Koryo (918 A.D. - 1392 A.D.), the capital was then moved to Hanyang, what is now the area of Seoul, after an assassination and governmental upheaval.
It was also the only major city to have changed hands between North and South Korea as a result of the Korean War (being either 'liberated' or 'occupied', depending on your point of view).
During the Korean war this city was a no-fire zone, as it was used as a staging area for discussions between the two sides. Because of this, many of the original structures and historical artifacts were left undamaged, unlike the rest of Korea. Makes for some interesting things to see while visiting! There are many neat natural areas around the city, too.
- Pros:Historical places, clean air, friendly and curious people.
- Cons:Wandering around will get yourself shot...
- In a nutshell:Very interesting place!
All through the woods are very old rock inscriptions, dating from various times. Some tell about various kings and... more travel advice
Directly across the street from Sonjuk Bridge you will find Pyochung Pavilion. Inside there are two huge stelea (stone... more travel advice
schwein's Related Pages
Kaesong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On the Far Side of the Kimchee Curtain... Kaesong"
- "North Korea's win from the Korean War"
- "Rush hour in Kaesong"
- "Big on history but near big trouble"
- "The Old Capital"
- "Kaesong, my first step to North Korea"
- "North of the 38th Parallel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kaesong
- Hotels in Kaesong
- Transportation in Kaesong
- Nightlife in Kaesong
- Restaurants in Kaesong
- Shopping in Kaesong
- Warnings and Dangers in Kaesong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kaesong
- 16 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Kaesong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kaesong
Photos in KaesongSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 25 reviews, 117 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panglao Island Intro, 20 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaesong Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Similan Intro, 10 reviews, 49 photos
- Osaka Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos
- Kyongju Intro, 7 reviews, 31 photos
- Phuket Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos
- Ko Phi Phi Don Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hainan Sheng Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos