"Yangyang" Yangyang by schwein
Yangyang Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 16 photos
Yangyang is a smaller county on the northeast coast of South Korea, along the shores of the Sea of Japan (East Sea). Its population is about 30,000.
The Yangyang area is well known for its pine mushrooms (song-i, you'll see statues and signs everywhere) and it's fish (particularly salmon).
In 2002 Yangyang opened its own international airport. The airport also serves Gangneung to the south and Sokcho to the north, important for the many tourists attracted to Seorak-san national park, located nearby.
The county is also proud of its five-day market. It is the largest traditional market in the area and renowned for the quality of its produce. The market is held on days ending in 4 and 9.
The scuba diving around Yangyang is good, although somewhat chilly. 5mm at least! Or a drysuit...
Apparently, this is the only area on South Korea's east coast where it's permitted to do night dives (without getting shot at by the suspicious navy, anyway!). The east coast has had quite a few encounters with North Korean submarine incursions, so the navy is very watchful. 38 Marine Resort has special permision to do night dives around one uninhabited island in the area.
- Pros:Great fresh seafood! Good scuba diving.
The resort offers a great BBQ for dinner! Spend the day diving, and eat to your fill of steak and seafood. :) We... more travel advice
There are quite a few local seafood restaurants, shops, fishing boats, and interesting things to see. The beach area is... more travel advice
schwein's Related Pages
Yangyang Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Yangyang
- Restaurants in Yangyang
- Warnings and Dangers in Yangyang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yangyang
- 5 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Yangyang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yangyang
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 25 reviews, 117 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panglao Island Intro, 20 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaesong Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Similan Intro, 10 reviews, 49 photos
- Osaka Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos
- Kyongju Intro, 7 reviews, 31 photos
- Phuket Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos
- Ko Phi Phi Don Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fukuoka Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos