"Maryland and Delaware Interlude" Annapolis by ranger49

Annapolis Travel Guide: 224 reviews and 540 photos

Annapolis a two- day stop over

We were making our way between relatives in Washington DC and Princeton NJ , enroute to Pennsylvania, Massachusttes and New Hampshire taking advantage of some quiet time on our own to do some sight seeing on the way.

Annapolis seemed a good place to stay but it was very busy and every hotel we had marked off in our Maryland Guidebook was full.

We drove down Main Street towards the harbour - loving what we saw - old colonial style buildings, quaint shops and the harbour itself. There we had to turn back, disappointed that we would have to drive on.

As we drove I spotted a sign above a Deli and shouted " Stop! - Rooms Vacant here".

Somehow we found a place to park, John went inside and soon returned with a big grin on his face and instructions to the car park at the back and the steps up to the Annexe where the rooms were located.

We could not believe our luck!
A small but newly decorated and furnished cosy room with its own small showeroom.
From the owner we learned that it was Commissioning week when midshipmen at the Naval Academy "passed" out. so there were many visiting parents in town to attend the cermony as their boys ended 4 years of study.
We did not then realise that we had landed in an Annapolis institution.
It turned out to be :- Chick & Ruth's Delly of which you can read more in my accommodation Tip.

So with a roof over our heads we set off to explore this pretty town.
It was hot and sunny, very pleasant to wander around the flower bedecked Harbour searching for something we were to find did not exist in Annapolis - a light meal!

And all those young men in Best Whites with their proud parents gave quite a festive air to the place.
We remember it as one of the high lights of our trip in the eastern States.

• Last visit to Annapolis: May 2000
  • Intro Updated Sep 18, 2009

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2012 at 12:42 PM

The delly sounds a real find.....we search for interesting places with atmosphere to eat and stay as well
    M

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2011 at 12:52 AM

I have to agree with you about the size of the meals. We had the same problem, and always left a lot on the plate, and then had to explain there was nothing wrong with the meal!

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2010 at 4:33 AM

This looks like a great place. Your room sounded really quaint and I must agree regarding the serving sizes in the US and my stomach stretches to suit very easily and quickly. Not good.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2010 at 1:07 PM

So glad you had a nice visit in my Home State Capital!! sounds like a great B&B find.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Oversized portions LOL Now we know why they are so fat...

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2009 at 7:02 AM

Softshell crab and the pretty little State House are my main memories of Annapolis, a really lovely small city.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2009 at 10:21 AM

What an interesting place. Glad you ventured around and enjoyed what it had to offer. Nice page Barbara.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2009 at 4:11 PM

I've always been curious about Annapolis. Thanks for clueing me in. Got a kick out of your B&B and the pledge. My husband would love that.

ranger49

“See something worthwhile wherever you go.”

Badges & Stats in Annapolis

Have you been to Annapolis?

Latest Activity in Annapolis