"Maryland and Delaware Interlude" Annapolis by ranger49
Annapolis Travel Guide: 224 reviews and 540 photos
We were making our way between relatives in Washington DC and Princeton NJ , enroute to Pennsylvania, Massachusttes and New Hampshire taking advantage of some quiet time on our own to do some sight seeing on the way.
Annapolis seemed a good place to stay but it was very busy and every hotel we had marked off in our Maryland Guidebook was full.
We drove down Main Street towards the harbour - loving what we saw - old colonial style buildings, quaint shops and the harbour itself. There we had to turn back, disappointed that we would have to drive on.
As we drove I spotted a sign above a Deli and shouted " Stop! - Rooms Vacant here".
Somehow we found a place to park, John went inside and soon returned with a big grin on his face and instructions to the car park at the back and the steps up to the Annexe where the rooms were located.
We could not believe our luck!
A small but newly decorated and furnished cosy room with its own small showeroom.
From the owner we learned that it was Commissioning week when midshipmen at the Naval Academy "passed" out. so there were many visiting parents in town to attend the cermony as their boys ended 4 years of study.
We did not then realise that we had landed in an Annapolis institution.
It turned out to be :- Chick & Ruth's Delly of which you can read more in my accommodation Tip.
So with a roof over our heads we set off to explore this pretty town.
It was hot and sunny, very pleasant to wander around the flower bedecked Harbour searching for something we were to find did not exist in Annapolis - a light meal!
And all those young men in Best Whites with their proud parents gave quite a festive air to the place.
We remember it as one of the high lights of our trip in the eastern States.
If you want a small snack for lunch and are not used to American servings, be careful what you order! We had looked in... more travel advice
Outside the Harbour Office and Information Booth look out for the Meeters and Greeters in their colourful 18th century... more travel advice
ranger49's Related Pages
Annapolis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Capitol of Boat Shows"
- "ANNAPOLIS, MARYLAND--Historic Chesapeake Bay area"
- "Maryland and Delaware Interlude"
- "A City Within a City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Annapolis
- Hotels in Annapolis
- Transportation in Annapolis
- Nightlife in Annapolis
- Restaurants in Annapolis
- Shopping in Annapolis
- Warnings and Dangers in Annapolis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Annapolis
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to Annapolis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Annapolis
Top 10 Pages
- Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue