"The Big Trees of Calaveras , High Sierra" Calaveras Big Trees State Park by ranger49
Calaveras Big Trees State Park Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 16 photos
It may have been a bear like this one (seen holding its cub) that Augustus T. Dowd, a hunter,was tracking when - on unfamiliar territory - he found himself in a dense forest of the largest trees he had ever seen.
It was 1852, the great forest at Yosemite was yet to be opened to the wondering eyes of travellers but word travelled quickly from Calaveras to San Francisco and it was not long before tourists came to view the magnificence. of Dowd's discovery.
But with them came Speculators, ever keen to exploit anything for gain.
This tree had a diameter of at least 25 ft. at the base and must have been nearly 300ft tall. Itwas 1,244 years old when felled and still showing signs of fast growth .
Within a year, in an incredible display of greed and vandalism, the tallest tree of all , known now as the Discovery Tree, was felled and stripped of its bark.
Plans to transport and exhibit what could be put together of the remains of the trunk and bark around the world, came to an end after an unsuccessful show in New York whenfire destroyed all that was left of the it .
Dowd, angered and dismayed and was joined in his condemnation of such destruction by the Scottish born explorer, writer and conservationist, John Muir. Together they sewed the seeds that were ultimately, to result in formal programmes for the preservation of natural wonders, and decades later,the Calaveras Big Trees State Park.
The Black Bear sculpture was carved by a local man from Arnold, Miles Tucker. He made it from a 180 yearold sugar pine using only a chain saw. It stands now outside the visitor Centre at the entrance to the Park.
These days only managed felling of trees takes place as part of the conservation and preservation programmes carried out under the authority of the State Park
ranger49's Related Pages
Calaveras Big Trees State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "do you like redwood trees?"
- "The Big Trees of Calaveras , High Sierra"
- "Least Visited of the MAJOR Redwood Groves"
- "Our visit to the Big Trees of Calaveras County"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Calaveras Big Trees State Park
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (163)
Have you been to Calaveras Big Trees State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Calaveras Big Trees State Park
- Posted in Travel Devon Forum "Re: cornwalls atalantic coastal..."
- updated a Calaveras Big Trees State Park Travel Page "The Big Trees of Calaveras , High Sierra"
- Wrote a Review Take a walk in the Forest in Calaveras Big Trees State Park Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Take a walk in the Forest"
- Commented on one of Jeannette1's Calaveras Big Trees State Park travel pages
Photos in Calaveras Big Trees State ParkSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue