"Angels Camp - an historic gold mine town." Angels Camp by ranger49
Angels Camp Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 35 photos
Angels Camp has the air now of a gentle little town - a far cry from how it might have appeared 150 years ago.
It's main street is lined with the low-level wooden buildings of that earlier age when thousands came here to work in the gold mines along the Mother Lode, hoping to make their fortune.
Two brothers, Henry and George Angel, headed here 1848 all the way from Rhode Island where they had run a general store. They soon decided that setting up a store might be more profitable than the backbreaking work of surface goldming, from which there returns were poor. More and more people were flooding in - the wave of '49ers - followed by many more as a valuable seam of quartz was also found in the hardrock. So around the Trading post that they established Angel Camp developed and served a population of 4000 miners and their families.
Once the noise of the stamping mills and other machinery stopped they would have thronged this street - and here they could have found relaxtion, refreshment and entertainment in saloons and dance halls.
It is the kind of small town I love to wander around and there is a great deal of information to guide you, by way of the various plaques and commemorative notices to be seen as you take a stroll down Main street.
Most of the buildings here have been restored or reconstructed in the original style of this old Gold Town.
As the town grew and prospered more shops and services were established, hotels built, construction companies, farriers and all else needed to support a large community.
The population today is below 4000 but although we visited in a time of economic difficulty there was plenty of evidence that the spirit of Angel Camp is in good shape as it looks forward to the future, preserving and benefitting from its historical past.
While the custom of sending letters and post-cards home to family and friends persists - so too will waiting in a Post... more travel advice
The main street in the historical centre has plenty of shops to attract tourists - antiques, art and crafts, jewels,... more travel advice
ranger49's Related Pages
Angels Camp Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Angels Camp - an historic gold mine town."
- "Angels Camp - Home of the Jumping Frog"
- "Angels Camp"
- "Angels Camp, California"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Angels Camp
- Nightlife in Angels Camp
- Restaurants in Angels Camp
- Shopping in Angels Camp
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Angels Camp
- 8 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Angels Camp?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Angels Camp
Photos in Angels CampSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Carmarthen Intro, 19 reviews, 81 photos
- Mahón Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos
- Brugge Intro, 14 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Camaret-sur-Mer Intro, 13 reviews, 62 photos
- Pont-Aven Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nerja Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure Intro, 17 reviews, 44 photos
- Quimperlé Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Pickering Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue